Auguste-Louis Lepere signed French etching/print

Discussion in 'Art' started by Dennis Tjaden, Apr 9, 2020.

?

Is this pre 1900?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dennis Tjaden

Dennis Tjaden Old ball coach......

I found this framed print in my mother's things. I am trying to verify what is written on the back of the print and discover more about it. I don't post on this site unless I've exhausted everything I know how to do on the net and I am exhausted..... :)

The print is small in size: 4.5" x 4.5"

Thank you for your help.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.57.49 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.58.15 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.58.37 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.59.51 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 5.00.32 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 5.00.59 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 5.01.19 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 5.01.40 PM.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's information readily to be found about the artist on the internet. Here is his entry from wikipedia.com (to get you started.) The print is called 'Longchamp: The Review' and it's from his 1898 work 'Parisian Sundays.' Longchamp is, of course, a racecourse in Paris.

Debora

sabre123 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and sabre123 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting... The format of your work doesn't appear to match that of the book (27 cm x 18,5 cm) and... the signature doesn't appear to read Lepere.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, of course. The author of the book was Louis Morin. Lepere did the illustrations. Here's a sample page.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours doesn't look as if it came from a broken book. Might be a later reproduction.

Debora

7. Dennis Tjaden

This is why I put it here, so many knowledgable people. Is the signature even his signature or is it not even by this person. As I said, this was all done by whom, I don't know.....

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Found these Lepere signatures.
    5FBC86B2-D880-4281-AF89-A651EEC3DFDA.jpeg F81CFFF0-6294-4E7F-8387-3392868AA08C.jpeg

Debora likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Signature not right to my eye nor is paper.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.58.37 PM.jpg 5FBC86B2-D880-4281-AF89-A651EEC3DFDA.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. Dennis Tjaden

11. Dennis Tjaden

I found several things on the net done by Lepere. I'm not a great judge of this type of thing so that's why I came here. I don't know that the signature even says Lepere. Could it be done by another artist? I only assumed that it was done by him because of what was written by a previous owner. I know what assuming does and it may have made one out of me.... :)

Houseful likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is that your mother's hand?

Debora

13. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

anundverkaufen likes this.
  14. flipper

15. flipper

16. flipper

17. Dennis Tjaden

Oh no. I don't know where she got it. Probably at some sale. She did that before Alzheimer’s reared it's ugly head....

18. Dennis Tjaden

Why do/did artists have to use signatures as bad as doctors????:happy:

I have also been trying to figure out if the writing beside the name is a date or number of print...

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why don't you take the back off and see what you have? Won't effect value.

Debora

Fid likes this.
  20. Dennis Tjaden

Thank you for the suggestion....I did that and I'll add some pictures of what I find....

Draft saved Draft deleted