Austrian 1930s vase, any clues to who made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NTC Collector, Aug 29, 2020.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

9B715485-22CC-45FE-9807-927219E2020B.jpeg EA12D6AE-40E3-4338-B462-BCD2C7B5602C.jpeg Hi all, I found this amazing little vase that’s fascinating and frustrating me. About 18cm high, terracotta. I think 1930s and the Wien sticker would presumably indicate Austrian but can’t find anything to match the triangle mark on bottom with letters that look like NF or similar?? With the Wien label and marks on bottom I thought they’d be easy to identify- not so. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like there is a bit of clay right where the mark is so it's possible parts of the mark aren't showing or clear. You might try rotating the mark around and comparing to the photos below.

I haven't checked to see what any of these factories made so don't know if any are possibilities. These are just some with triangle marks with letters inside.

The first list are Mosa marks from this site.
    https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/372461831674763824/

The second list is from Röntgen's book Marks on German, Bohemian and Austrian Porcelain.
    upload_2020-8-29_7-48-30.png IMG_20200829_074220.jpg

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Sorry double post

4. NTC Collector

Thanks, appreciate it. I agree the mark is affected by some clay so hard to know what the full lettering is. Does look like a clear N on the left. Can’t see one here that matches.

judy likes this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Have tried a rubbing to see if you can get a better idea of the mark? With a pencil or crayon?

judy likes this.
  6. NTC Collector

Yes sadly rubbing with pencil didn’t make clearer. I keep coming back to N but it’s not centred so must be something missing.
    I’ve wondered could the Wien sticker be throwing me and has been added (although clearly it’s old - well stuck but above glaze. Perhaps a souvenir piece?).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here's a turned and better close-up of the mark, @say_it_slowly......to me, and that's JUST ME.....almost looks like it's meant to say Np with a smaller oval above with a small star in it....but as I said....that's just me!!

JUG MARK-EDITED-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

8. NTC Collector

The close up is helpful thanks. The small oval you mention seems to be a hole in the clay so don’t know if deliberate. Almost looks like a small S now

Draft saved Draft deleted