Featured Awesome Japanese Lacquered Box what’s it used for?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vesuvia, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Howdy Folks! I hope everyone is having a fine and lovely weekend. I am hoping someone might be able to check out this awesome Japanese lacquered box I found and maybe tell me what was the purpose of it? What was it intended to hold? It has a perfectly fitting tray with a small hole in one of it’s corners, and I thought maybe it was used as a writing box? I’m not too sure. From the looks of it I am also guessing it’s Meiji; but, I am open to learning when I’m wrong, if that’s the case. :)

it’s a really sturdy little box and I just love it! The glossy varnish has faded a bit and I wondered if that would effect the value of it, which I also have no idea about. Any assistance with this pretty Japanese box is very much appreciated!
    Thank you! 486E8AAC-490F-4EA5-81F1-C023BBB3621C.jpeg 6C8C4E3F-AC21-4D08-9EAE-1500A9B05E3F.jpeg 24228D34-548B-44C0-9DD8-206D7E890B8C.jpeg

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Size?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

storing stuff...;):playful::playful:

kyratango likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Vesuvia. It is a 'tebako', for storing personal accessories like combs, hair jewellery, etc. It would have had a thick silk cord tied to the rings and over the lid, to keep the lid in place.
    Lacquer.:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Vesuvia, kentworld, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

My fangs grew about 3mm longer! Mighty hunter! ...I mean, thank you so much! I’ve actually been using it to hold my favorite old hair clips and brooches! I just adore to bits and pieces the elegant lines and skilled artistry, not to mention the beautiful functionality, of antique (& modern too) Japanese boxes.

You should just seeeee what I’ve got coming! I’m so excited. I’ll post them soon! Thank you again for your knowledge!

Draft saved Draft deleted