Aztex/Mayan Style Pottery Urn - Old Or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 22, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Two of the bird heads are broken, one is missing, the other is there but needs to be glued back (not sure if to superglue it or used something else or maybe it is not worth repairing).
    Any idea if the piece is old (how old) or a recent reproduction ( of what, Aztec, Mayan, Inca?)
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I vote newer since the real antique ones were buried and usually has tiny black specks or nodules of manganese. JMHO. I would use Elmer's white glue to repair it since it can be reversed if it turns out to be valuable.
    greg

3. kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply. The surface do have some black specks scattered around but not sure if they are from manganese or deliberately painted.
    [​IMG]

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The spots look like ash flys from the kiln since they are done in wood fired kilns. Wait for more people to stop in especially the experts. It is a nice pot and I would give it house room.
    greg

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it was manufactured to appear old, but was probably made in the last 10-15 years or so. That blue and yellow paint is key. These were popular decorator items, sold through department stores and import shops. Probably best described as a "generic" pre-Columbian style.

6. kardinalisimo

Thanks Taupou. So on the authentic pieces there is no blue and yellow paint, correct?

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

As far as I know, that would be correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted