Featured B.Jones presents:More and more. Brooches/ *cameos */beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Jun 15, 2020.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Friends!!

I have more.

This is one of my boxes,it's approx 6 inches across and 2 down.
    (Feels like it could be
    papier-mâché but with the usual disclaimer I am Clueless) xx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just some beads,the yellow feel ceramic ,and the stripes...the others feel like glass. Big chevron is just over an inch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is roughly made! Is it hobby made do you think?
    (it has no green on it IRL, reflecting from something)
    It's two inches down & an inch & a half across)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Bronwen ... I almost hesitate to show you these as I have seen some of yours and to say my *collection* is modest does not do it justice! But I love them anyway xx
    The biggest is two inches down.
    I think some are what you call Ponytail Girl!
    The one with filigree has some writing on the back 800 123 GE ( or similar) and it's one and a half inches .
    The one on the very right is MOP and has some markings too, 800 and some lettering
    I think the teeny blue one may be glass,the teeny pink one looks shell like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am starting new post for some more xxx

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVELY Bou !! ... Joy. :)

3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you my LOVELY Joy <3 xXXx

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some or all of these are trade beads.

[​IMG]

kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. BoudiccaJones

Lovely! Thank you Cuz! I have some more similar somewhere ... thank you again xxxx

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

upload_2020-6-15_8-53-48.png

No, not a single ponytail among them.

Which one is that?

Suspect this is 800 silver with 12K Gold Electroplate.

Yes, glass. She interested me because I think the figure is one I mainly see in brown, but can't see well enough to be sure.

No, she looks like coral. Would need to see close up front & back to decide as coral, like sardonyx, is easy to fake in glass.

When it comes to materials, I can't tell about the one on the far left of the top row; suspect resin. The 3 others in that row are helmet shell, as are the first 2 in the bottom row. Then glass, porcelain, maybe coral, resin & MOP.

The one on the far right of the top row is Ceres. The one on the far left of the bottom group appears to be a bacchante, but am squinting to try to see clearly; none of the others is an identifiable figure.

The country courtship scene looks well done & would probably be the most saleable of the lot. That one & the Ceres are likely to be the oldest; the bacchante also looks antique. The one to the left of the scene would probably also do reasonably well on the market, although newer than the other two.

To say any more I would need to see individual pieces, or at least smaller groups, in close up with some light. :kiss::kiss:

Any Jewelry and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. Bronwen

Box has Mt. Fuji, so Japanese. Pendant looks like a wobbly bulls eye agate but really hard to make out in photo.

Any Jewelry and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi Bou!:happy: Lovely pieces, again.

The box is Japanese lacquer, ca 1910. These boxes were imported as early gift boxes by manufacturers of soaps, perfumes, chocolates, etc.

The beads are lovely. The cylindrical one looks like an old trade bead, but I suspect the other ones are more recent.
    The big round stunner with the faces is a replica bead from East Java, Indonesia. Not very old, but a great bead. East Java made glass trade beads long before Europe did, some have been found at Egyptian archaeological sites.
    I think it is ethnic, maybe from India.

9. BoudiccaJones

Ok my lovely,thank you again,will try and get gooder pics tomorrow <3
    Thank you again xx

(I don't think any are resin, everytime I come across a cameo I keep the natural feeling ones. I have sold some plasticky ones,and a glass one xx)
    (THOUGH it's quite likely I could very well be wrong and tomorrow I'll try and show you )

The one I thought was filigree I have confused even *yay!* myself but I think I meant top left on the first picture ...oh that's the resiny one.I'm going to go n clunk it ( gently)
    THANK YOU for all that info! Wish I could remember all ( some) of it ! xxxx

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. BoudiccaJones

Coral! Missed that,thank you again Cuz xx
    Also this is the one I thought was filigree xx
    I took some really quick pics , pretty sure it's shell..the back is curved,so hard to get a pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango, Happy! and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

GREAT! Lovely info for me to chew on! THANK YOU! Off to google xx

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

'shamed to admit I didn't even see they were faces :O

13. Any Jewelry

It is, Italian, silver gilt.:)

kyratango, Bronwen and BoudiccaJones like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Some of them are a bit distorted.:wacky: But yes, faces.:)

15. BoudiccaJones

Can see it now and am shook I couldn't see before! Totally see faces now I know they're there xx
    Thank you AJ! xxx

16. Bronwen

It can be hard to tell if the cameo is small & a lot of it is covered with the setting, but the coloring of that one is all wrong.

If you haven't stopped in on the Cameo Show & Tell thread of late, you will not have seen one of my favorite rants. This is not onyx, despite what book says. Author even notes that it's weird to have such a cameo on a stock compact:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/596806...=sr_gallery-1-13&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Meanwhile, also on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/823657...=sr_gallery-4-12&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

I did contact seller of compact, to no acknowledgment & no effect. Anyone who buys cameos in this price range would not be fooled, but, with the book behind it, I'm afraid some compact collector will get taken. I'm less worried about the other one because these do sell in that price range, even when correctly described as resin.

kyratango likes this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

I would bet my boots you're right , I respect your knowledge way beyond anything I have xx
    Two or so years ago I was CONVINCED that some beads I had were glass...I would not have it they were anything else. This board knew they weren't...anyway after a day or two I decided to tooth test for pearls just to eliminate them ( which I should have done already) and well..they were pearls.
    So I am sure you're right xx Apart from I know you know anyway xx

I sort of know the frustration about book stuff...the only thing I do know anything about is Sindy and you would NOT believe the amount of books that give the wrong info.
    One book even says **Sindy seen in her original outfit from 1963** and it's a 1984 doll in a BARBIE outfit. And because it's in a book,it immediately becomes truth.
    Emended: it's one of those Miller books too that are everywhere...if I know they got THAT wrong,I cannot trust any of their other info
    My friend wrote a Sindy clothes book, used some of my dolls and some of my outfits and that's the only one I trust. I don't believe anything blindly though,it probably has mistakes

Tomorrow I'll try and take better pics, but I believe you're right . I'll have a good gawk at the Cameo Show & Tell too. Thank you,Cuz x x

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Would this be Anna Miller? I didn't realize she was someone who churned out collectors books. Before I began to have some influence on knowledge in the cameo world (the trendier wording would be 'the cameo space'), can't tell you how often some earnest collector/dealer would say to me, But Miller says... Book is absolutely riddled with errors. Person who revised seems to have been more careful, but I do not recommend it as a reference. As the most available & most affordable, it's the one people tend to have.

kyratango likes this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

I don't know , I know I should but these MILLER ref books that literally everyone has and believe every word to be utter truth.One like this one
    [​IMG]

Msalicia and kyratango like this.
  20. Bronwen

Confusion I see. Not that Miller, this one:

[​IMG]

Msalicia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted