Featured B. KAPRENKO Painting; Has Anyone Heard of This Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, May 22, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I googled B. KAPRENKO when I got it 10 years ago or so. Same today...No joy.

11¾" X 9¼", as found, without frame.

I've taken the liberty of tilting it to suit myself, until better information becomes available: Midnight Rendezvous. Yeah corny, but...

I was attracted to the very many details showing the artist's familiarity with seafaring craft, and their oft' mysterious missions.

I think it's oil, but it could be acrylic an' I couldn't tell the difference.

fullsizeoutput_929b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_929a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9299.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9298.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9297.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9296.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9295.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9294.jpeg

Born2it, komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sure surname isn't Karpenko?

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. wlwhittier

I recognize that my pic of the signature is hard to read...but the name is clearly B. Kaprenko.

My artist may have been influenced by, or even copied some of Karpenko Vitalii:

The central position of the celestial illuminator, the sparsely treed headlands intruding from the left, each including a footbridge, small vessels attending larger ones, rigging detail on the ships, and even long pennants flown from the mastheads...perhaps too much similarity to be dismissed as coincidental in these.

I'm much more curious about it than I was 2 hours ago. Thanks for the intriguing reply!

Born2it likes this.
  5. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

They look like smugglers to me...

6. wlwhittier

Of course! Creeping about at night in ships...being guided by signal lanterns. What other motive could there possibly be? Sneaky Bastards!!

7. Silverthorne

Your painting is too similar to the other fellow's. "B" is either a relative with a bit of an identity crisis, or he is a copyist of sorts, hoping to be thought the "V."

On the other hand, he might be dyslexic?

Houseful likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

He would have had to be severely so...my fellow is surnamed Kaprenko, an' the other fellow is surnamed Vitalli:
    "Karpenko Vitaliy was born in 1963 in the city of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine."

9. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

It certainly seems to say Kaprenko...

upload_2022-5-22_19-27-52.png

Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  10. wlwhittier

You're GOOD, y'know that? Excellent work, Thanks!

Born2it likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not dyslexic, Cyrillic script.;)
    Which means Vitaliy Karpenko is written Віталій Карпенко in Ukrainian Cyrillic, Виталий Карпенко in Russian Cyrillic. Take your pick.:playful:

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  12. Silverthorne

13. wlwhittier

But but but...my signature is in English block letters!

I get your drift, tho' now I'm Really Confused. Your post seems to say that Віталій Карпенко (or Виталий Карпенко) is highly likely to be my artist.

Given the obvious & numerous similarities between the two paintings, the transposed 3rd & 4th letters in the surname, and the B vs V in Vitalyi...I must agree, if only for the sake of cognitive serenity that comes with acceptance.

Excellent sleuthing, very well presented! Thank you, Any Jewelry!

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted