Featured Bakelite ? Locket Bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

See? I knew it was going.:hilarious:

judy, Jivvy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yay! Happy Sunday to you too:kiss:
    French jet is a nice name for... black glass used to mimick jet in jewellery (strangely not used for faux black onyx:hilarious:)

judy, Jivvy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. kyratango

As usual, I'm doing/watching several things at same time:facepalm::joyful:
    I think one of you had the opinion the decors and the locket part may be different on several pieces. (Not sure if I'm clear:confused:)
    A jewellery firm made all components which were assembled afterward depending of the demand/fashion of certain themes in my opinion. Could have been the same oval locket part as a pendant with grape or bracelet with ivy or... and so on.

judy, Jivvy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm seeing matte on the decorative bit & shiny elsewhere. Could be same material, different finishes, maybe. It just seems too different from the cuff itself to be the same, but could be same material as locket compartment.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. kyratango

Bronwen, Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

That is my theory, as well.

From what I can see, those are nicely done reproductions... and will some day get resold on ebay as the original items. :joyful:

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

That's what I thought. You can't make nice reproductions without someone taking advantage.:rolleyes:
    Mind you, some people just don't know and can't be bothered to ask here.:banghead:

Bronwen, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ok, I’m here now! Pesky work got in the way of the fun stuff.
    I’ve studied it under a loupe and the band and the locket look to be exactly the same material. The decoration on the front looks moulded.
    38B950B5-7FF2-4987-A414-BCF830081F80.jpeg
    Inside the locket on the bottom part the surround again looks moulded or the decoration pressed in.
    33A991E0-CD3B-452D-BDF7-F584A07AE903.jpeg
    The centre of the bottom however looks carved.
    8D1D2CDA-3628-427F-91E4-F3CA87576211.jpeg

The surround in the opening part of the locket
    41B31F07-B9F6-440B-A0E2-EFB23F4C3D0F.jpeg

The centre of the opening part. Looks more like the decoration was pressed in than carved.
    FD829C3C-AAA7-471B-8CBA-E3C82935F1D5.jpeg
    And as for the person who pressed that green goo into the decoration, I hope they end up in a really fiery place! ( not really but you know what I mean, they can end up with a nice job down there like looking after Cerberus).

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Great close ups, K.:)

Bronwen, kyratango and KSW like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does this help too?
    Small area on the bottom of the inside of the locket that has melted. You can just see the bubbles.
    Almost impossible to see how the inner locket has been slotted in and secured as the loupe won’t see round corners!
    33379A04-4A55-4CDF-8633-ADFA16D183C1.jpeg

11. Jivvy

I will argue that "pressed" is a type of "molded," so none of that influences my thoughts.

I remain on the Vulcanite Train. :woot:

A totally unscientific study shows that within the Victorian era, UK and US newspapers used the word "Vulcanite" six times more often than "Ebonite."

Which means nothing, but it's the kind of thing I check. :p

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm learning :hilarious:

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm drifting towards it being vulcanite or another rubber derivative as under my warm mag light there was a faint whiff of rubber and after seeing those bubbles.
    Would the cuff be able to be made of vulcanite that thin though?. Although it's visually very similar maybe it's not?
    How unusual is this?. I can see pendants and the cuff INH found but I haven't found another locket on a cuff yet.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  14. Jivvy

15. Jivvy

Forgot to say, I have no problem with vulcanite as the material of the thin cuff.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted