Featured Bakelite: Oval Cherry Amber Graduated Bead String

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Mar 4, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I thought I had shared these here, but a search didn't find them...my apology if they have been seen here previously.

I've had them quite awhile, maybe 30 years. I don't think I paid much for 'em. Twice, when offered on eBay by a friend who dealt in higher-end baubles internationally, they were bid up to a little over $500. Both times, separated by a few months, the (foreign) bidders failed to complete the sale, an' my friend didn't offer them to the next higher bidder...so they remain in my possession. All this happened in about 2015 or so. One of the bidders was in Turkey, the other in Pakistan, iirc.

They do test as Bakelite, with both 409 & Simichrome. Note the missing male-half of the closure. Their color, in sunlight, is a brilliant cherry-red, darkly transparent (or lightly translucent?)

The previous listings were identical, an' used the term Faturan in the description. What little I know about that leads me to doubt they are...bwdik?

I'm gonna list them myself, an' the listing will be freshly written with my own description. Your observations an' comments will be most helpful in that regard...an' I thank y'all for lookin'!

P1400456.jpeg P1400455.jpeg P1400454.jpeg P1400453.jpeg

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Gad zeeks Whit,I'm impressed by your jewelry knowledge. Rootie Kazootie-500 smackers !

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Dunno my ass from Arbuckle's Coffee...'cept what I may have picked up here, Bosko. But thanks!

KSW and komokwa like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Well you've picked up a lot sir,this jewelry's impressive.You're motivating me to check under my couch,and with my knees-that's no cinch !

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I have sold a few of these.
    They are good, congrats!
    If you list them, make sure to put some light on the beads so the buyers can see the inside swirls.
    It is also helpful to tell the weight in your add.
    They look like nice chunky beads.
    faturan is the same as cherry amber, in fact.
    In Istanbul in the old souks you see these being sold for some thousands :cat:
    Online...a bit less, but should still be good.
    No idea about ebay selling though...I never tried it.
    The fact they are graduated detracts a little value wise, because usually they get to be restrung in Tesbih (prayer bead strings)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Actually Arbuckle's coffee is pretty good.

wlwhittier and lvetterli like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Faturan is different from Bakelite, and it can be several colours. It was generally made using bakelite, but they add 'stuff' to it. Every maker had their own mix, which could even include genuine amber. In Yemen they often added incense, so you can always recognize Yemeni Faturan by the lovely scent.
    Faturan colours are mostly in the yellow-orange-red range.

There are many stories about the origin and nature of Faturan, and because I have several Faturan pieces myself, I have delved into the mystery that is Faturan (often the mystery that has been created around it). So after studying many sites and hearing podcasts about the subject, I've come to the conclusion that this site tells the true story:

https://www.kombologia.com/the-truth-about-faturan/

The expensive ones are genuine Faturan, which is more rare and valuable than Bakelite.;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I haven't seen a gage like that before.

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  9. wlwhittier

It's just a piece of vacuum molded plastic...any serious craft or bead store should have them. About $5, as I recall, at JoAnn Fabrics...

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  10. wlwhittier

11. Dessert58

AJ, thank you for the info!
    But if faturan is made using bakelite, I would suppose it also tests the same way bakelite does, because of the formaldehyde in the bakelite.
    But how would it be possible to tell the difference?
    Except sometimes the smell?
    Clear 'bakelite', prystal, also has a different composition than usual bakelite but it still tests the same.
    My turkish friends, who are avid collectors, told me for them its all the same, faturan or amber bakelite.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I guess test results with simichrome depend on how much phenolic acid is in the Faturan. Since there are different concoctions, that varies.
    There are other tests for Faturan as well, some are invasive so not on my Faturan.:stop: The rubbing test, to see if it is static, is also used. Most of my Faturan is Yemeni, so that is where the scent is a giveaway.
    But I think most collectors rely on the visual.

wlwhittier, Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  13. Dessert58

Aj, thats true.
    And indeed, most collectors just rely on visual.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. wlwhittier

Right...102.2 grams including the string.

Dessert58 and charlie cheswick like this.
  15. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

thats a damn good size :jawdrop:

Dessert58 likes this.
  16. charlie cheswick

these ones only 69g and mammoth

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. charlie cheswick