Featured Bakelite? Plastic? Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, Jan 8, 2023.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

Just bought this brooch and I think it may be Bakelite but am a little confused! It's mainly
    butterscotchy-brown with green marbling mainly on the flower bud.
    It measures approximately 2 inches wide and 3 inches long.
    I have used a cotton bud dipped in baking soda and rubbed the back - it left a faint darkish yellow mark on the bud. Then I tried hot water and had a good sniff - it had quite a distinct fishy smell which I didn't think was a characteristic of Bakelite. Not sure what sort of age it would be - possibly 1940s or 50s? It may just be plastic of course.
    Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. 20230108_120435.jpg 20230108_120948.jpg 20230108_120847.jpg 20230108_120903.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    KSW, judy, Lucille.b and 8 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a very Lea Stein clasp. It might be the kind of lucite she used.

Lucille.b, IvaPan and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

It looks like bakelite but its hard to tell from a picture.
    I dont know about the soda method but maybe you could try rub it with simichrome? in my opinion thats a really good fool-proof method to see if its bakelite or not.
    I must say I have never come across a bakelite brooch with this kind of clasp. But that means nothing.

judy, Lucille.b, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Dip a q-tip in 409 cleaner & rub...the tip should show yellow, perhaps not bold but discernible, if the piece is Catalin/Bakelite.

judy, Lucille.b, Woutinc and 2 others like this.
  5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

To me it also looks bakelite. I am no expert but as far as I know, lucite is much lighter than bakelite so if the piece is relatively heavy for its size, it cannot be lucite.
    Any cleaner for oven or stove (whatever trade mark) should do the testing job. Baking soda might be not strong enough to remove the patina and transfer it to the cotton tip.

Very nice brooch, IMO!

Any Jewelry, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Have you tried rubbing the back repeatedly with a finger (until your finger generates heat) then quickly smelling the plastic? I've heard it described as sort of a "burning insulation" smell. This is how I often test Bakelite when in doubt, esp if I'm out and about and don't have my handy Simchrome.

Certainly seems like it could be Bakelite, but agree with the comment about the pinback being a bit on the unusual side, so maybe another plastic.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    IvaPan and judy like this.
  7. LucyLocket

Thanks. This set me off searching for Lea Stein brooches, she did use those clasps a lot! Her brooches seem to be "layered" rather than one solid piece. I have also looked at lots (and lots!) of Bakelite brooches and can't find any with clasps like mine!

IvaPan and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There was another French designer who "copied" her technique and backs, if I can remember the name. Yes, layered.

IvaPan likes this.
  9. LucyLocket

I have only just discovered what simichrome is after a quick google! It's available on eBay but seems quite expensive for just a small tube. As I would need only a dab (I assume?) I don't think I'll go down that route but thanks for the suggestion.

IvaPan and Dessert58 like this.
  10. LucyLocket

I did try rubbing it with my finger but couldn't really detect any sort of odour. When I tried it in hot water it was distinctly "fishy"!

IvaPan likes this.
  11. LucyLocket

Thank you, I don't know what 409 cleaner is - will need to go a-googling again! When I tried the baking soda it did leave a faint darkish yellow stain on the cotton.

IvaPan likes this.
  12. LucyLocket

Thank you. Having looked at lots (& lots!) of Bakelite jewellery I do lean towards my brooch being the same. The carving (it's not moulded) on the leaves especially looks very like much I've seen online. Of course looking at photos is not the same as having a piece in your hand. It is a nice brooch and I think I got a bargain so I'm very pleased with it.

IvaPan, bercrystal and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted