Bakelite table lamp has a problem....

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brian Warshaw, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

This isn't mine, but become so. I need your experienced advice:

If it was perfect it should fetch a good price; but it has a crack towards the bottom of the body. The lamp fitting is wrong, and it has no plug, although both can be obtained in bakelite.

What affect will the crack have as a percentage on the price. Not that I have found one on the Internet to determine a price.

Bakelite table lamp bbb (1).jpg

Bakelite table lamp bbb (2).jpg

Thank you.

judy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It could keep it from selling online. I would garage sale or craigslist the lamp for inexpensive, where someone could handle it and inspect it thoroughly before buying it, they will appreciate the beauty of the wood. It's lovely wood, but the crack is killer unless one could beautifully repair it. Just my opinion, please wait for others to chime in.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. a complete loss. I've never seen bakelite being repaired to acceptable quality without exactly knowing what kind of bakelite it was and by what company the item was produced.

judy and Brian Warshaw like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hunhhh, sure looks like turned burl wood to me...

~Cheryl

say_it_slowly likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon that's burr walnut - the crack is the right profile for it being wood, too. If it is, it will actually matter far less.

Fid likes this.
  6. antidiem

OH SORRY, I see the entire lamp is brown bakelite and not wood? -My eyesight at night must be getting worse. If the whole lamp is bakelite, yes agree, a total loss, but save the receptacle part from the top.

That's what I thought too, until a re-look in the light of day this morning! ;):hilarious:

Bear, I thought it was burled hardwood last night and worth giving away, but this morning, I think it could be brown bakelite (the neck of the lamp still looks like wood to me tho). I'd not want to repair it if it's wood, but someone may. If it's bakelite, I agree with Fid = total loss.

7. antidiem

8. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice, I shall not pursue any effort to acquire it. The person who owns it thought it was formica. Thanks again.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted