Featured Bali Carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 10, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He is beautiful! 1930s-40s, very good quality.
    Is there a hole for a little keris in the keris sheath on his back, or has the hilt broken off? Sometimes they were made with a removable keris.
    And has the base been glued?

Finally, would you like to post him in the Bali Art Deco thread? He certainly deserves to be there, but only if you want to of course:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/bali-art-deco-thread.30201/

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

AAF36C92-0357-4E27-B740-09E00CF53C30.jpeg 398AB19A-CAC0-4C47-88C7-A05FFC3D93FF.jpeg 3A2EBCC5-169B-4195-91CC-4AF71C259B4E.jpeg He? I’m so silly, tought it was a woman. About 14”, will measure later.
    The base and the leg are repaired but in my opinion quite acceptable.
    Yes, there is a hole, I was wondering is something goes in there.
    Is this a carved initial on the bottom?
    I was about to buy the small pair as well but thought they are not that good. Then, I kind of changed my mind but there was ony one left.
    I’ll post later in the Bali thread unless the admins can moved this topic there.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:D
    I have been studying my Bali Art Deco info, and think he could be slightly later, 1950s, which on Bali is still well within the Art Deco period.

Yes, there would have been something resembling a keris in the hole. Going by the shape of the ship of the sheath, the hilt would have looked something like this one, reserved for Brahmins:
    upload_2018-12-10_18-43-55.jpeg

The heads are either Gods or Goddesses, depending on the length of the hair. Slightly longer than shoulderlength is for men, really long is for women. The boy is much better quality. He is special, the divinities are pretty run of the mill.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted