Balinese painting artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by katherinebuda, Feb 21, 2024.

1. katherinebuda

katherinebuda New Member

Screenshot_20240221_175334_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240221_175352_Gallery.jpg
    Looks like Hasim to me. Anyone know the artist? Reverse says bought at Palembang market 1947. It's a little way out from Bali. Was it normal to find Bali art in Palembang? Going to list it online if anyone can tell me more about it I would appreciate it. THANK YOU!

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Hasim seems to be correct.
    Found several similar paintings signed Hasim, and I found this text:
    Hasim was an Indonesian painter who was born in 1921. Many works by the artist have been sold at auction, including 'HARVEST' sold at Henry Butcher Art Auctioneers 'Malaysian & Southeast Asian Art Auction' in 2014. The artist died in 1982

But ... there are also Hasim paintings in this style
    H19833-L352995404.jpg
    and the signature differs from the paintings in the style of yours
    H20423-L362295583.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. katherinebuda

katherinebuda New Member

2nd painting definitely looks similar in style and signature. Wonder if A. HASIM is same as artist who signed just Hasim

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

This one
    H3427-L105492279.jpg
    was listed as a A. Hasim painting, and does indeed seem to match yours, but I think I also saw one in the other style being attributed to "A. Hasim".
    And there was also a painting where it said that the Hasim of that painting was born in 1910 (no date of death)

Maybe @Any Jewelry can tell us more about this

5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

mirana and Marote like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes, I shall NEVER buy another painting from Bali again!
    My only purchase turned out to be an expensive fake.

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Fairly normal to find multiples done by the actual artist.Old Hasi found that this lovely young wahine was flying off his easel and it was a case of supply & demand.
    Even though considered a fine artist they'd still have to eat & sometimes w/ a very successful image might do multiple originals .The Old masters did it in their workshop,their assistants (apprentices) might paint 50-90% of the work,the master would finish up w/the head,naturally it would be signed & sold 'VanDyke'.Now the art forensic scientists,auctioneers & investors take this into account when evaluating a painting

Marote, mirana and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sex sells.....

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The subject is indeed Balinese, but the painter isn't, so this isn't Balinese art.
    Hasim is an Islamic man's name, like Hasan etc, and it can be used as a surname as well.
    Palembang is an Islamic city, Bali is Balinese Hindu (their own 'brand' of Hinduism).

It seems there are several painters named Hasim, of differing talents and with different signatures. At least one of them seemed to paint a lot of these Balinese girls. Why? Because they sell.;)
    I must say, this isn't a style that appeals to me, so it is not the type of Indonesian painting I know much about, but I'll give it a shot.:shy:

I suspect several Hasims painted Balinese girls. Names in Indonesia often change during a person's lifetime. That used to be connected with different stages of life and/or personal growth, but it developed into a custom. It can be very confusing.
    Maybe someone painted Balinese girls in the style of a painter named Hasim, and from then on was called Hasim.
    I have seen several paintings by that particular Hasim, the one with the long signature, and he seems to be a more talented one, with a greater diversity of subjects.
    A charming painting, and again, a more individual painter it seems.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Figtree3, Marote, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In this case nudity sells.;)
    Balinese women used to wear a sarung and slendang (long shawl) only, the upper body wasn't covered. To them it had nothing to do with sex but with common sense in a hot climate, but many Westerners thought it tantalising.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why yes of course..........but the term ' sex sells ' is a catch all , specialy for this type of art.

as well as car art.....
    [​IMG]

13. bosko69

I remember in the 60's seeing postcards of topless Hawaiian girls on the beach-tame by todays standards.One can only imagine what the Victorians of Gauguin's era thought ?

14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Naked women in paintings were expected. The nude photos though! Nice trade in soft core cards was had for certain.

antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. bosko69

Antique 'Boudoir' Cards.The really valuable ones are erotic Daguerreotype Stereo Cards-1840-1850's.

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted