Featured Bar Pin with Compartment

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Nov 25, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    wondering about this bar pin - it is in an on-line auction, description is unmarked sterling poison pin, 2 1/4", secret compartment behind amethyst stone.

I've asked for a photo of the back, they will send one on Friday, also replied with a description - It's an old fashioned one, very simple with no hinge on the pin or clasp on the loop. The back is flat, slightly scraped-looking with no stamps or markings.
    From the description, maybe a 'C' hook, not sure about the pin if there is no hinge.

So far the ones I'm finding on-line have a glass compartment for hair, not finding any with this type of compartment. Maybe for pills? Would have to be tiny pills I would think. (Not sure if they made such a thing). Maybe I should have waited until I have a photo of the back to post this, but going down rabbit holes while searching is more appealing than doing some housework:)
    any ideas or information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    126245517_3585485031534602_688901466534201296_o.jpg 126009220_3585601978189574_8208139689718702070_o.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I've never seen that, but my first thought is it is a secret compartment for hiding a momento.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or a suicide pill !!!! :happy::happy:

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This doesn't look particularly old. I'm betting the compartment was just there as "feature creep". They did it because they could. If this were a little older I'd think someone had some coke stashed in there!

5. komokwa

not enuf room for a bump !

pearlsnblume, stracci and cxgirl like this.
  6. evelyb30

I'm more your caffeine type, so I wouldn't know.(LOL)

pearlsnblume, kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  7. komokwa

I've been known to wander off the righteous path on occasion..........

In sixth grade...we had to make a class presentation ... stand up speaking...with props..... I did mine on illegal drugs............ threw everyone for a loop !!! Hehe!!

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies folks:)
    thanks Marie:) I haven't seen one like this either

QUOTE="evelyb30, post: 3066889, member: 36"]This doesn't look particularly old. I'm betting the compartment was just there as "feature creep".[/QUOTE]
    thanks evelyb30:) you could be right on the age. What is 'feature creep'?

lol komokwa, I bet you raised a few eyebrows! Did your parents get a phone call from the school:)

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  9. evelyb30

It's a programming term - adding features just to add features, because you can. Except that sooner or later you add so much stuff the program can't run.

antidiem, pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We called that scope creep. ;)

I agree this isn't that old. It has the look of poison rings from the 70s or even 80s. Nice tho'.

Figtree3, KSW, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Also thinking vintage but not old. The design also reminds me of something that might have been produced in the 1970s/80s as OBB suggested.

It's a nice looking piece, but the details on the brooch aren't very crisp, this makes me think vintage rather than antique. The sides have a little bit of a Celtic look possibly.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. komokwa

thanks evelyb30:) you could be right on the age. What is 'feature creep'?

lol komokwa, I bet you raised a few eyebrows! Did your parents get a phone call from the school:)[/QUOTE]

Only Rena got a higher grade than I did !!:happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. evelyb30

To quote myself above: It's a programming term - adding features just to add features, because you can. Except that sooner or later you add so much stuff the program can't run.

antidiem, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, and scope creep is the project equivalent. ;)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

@cxgirl you don't show the back, did they post a photo of the back?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I also think it is the decades mentioned above. I remember wearing a similar kind of pin near the top button on a shirt. It was not a memorable look for me.

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Something eboo and etsy do often.

18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't think this is an old and high quality piece, but if anyone needs a spot to store an emergency valium, perhaps it's just the pin! ;)

KSW likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with the others on the period. I have always liked hidden compartment jewellery, and this is a very pretty example.

KSW, antidiem and komokwa like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I find this absolutely impenetrable:

It's an old fashioned one, very simple with no hinge on the pin or clasp on the loop. The back is flat, slightly scraped-looking with no stamps or markings.

Hope the promised photo materializes, just so we can find out what this means.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted