Featured Barber poster... Need help here

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Steve d, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Searching on ancestry.com, I found some obituary notices for people named "Faris" with a connection either to Fall River or that area of MA and RI. Here are screen captures of what I found...

upload_2015-8-28_21-48-57.png
    upload_2015-8-28_21-50-38.png
    upload_2015-8-28_21-51-34.png

More to follow in next post...

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I believe that address is Hope St. rather than Home St. Today anyways, Home St. in Fall River only goes up to the 130s and it looks residential. Hope St. in Fall River is more commercial. Like you Steve, I found several Farises in Fall River. I did see an Adele Faris in the 1910 census of Bristol Co. with the HOH (Head of Household) a Tanous Faris living on Hope St. Adele Faris dates (1897-1987). In the 1920 census Adele is living on "South Main" Fall River with a Thomas R. Nasser as HOH. In the 1930 census Adele is living on Robeson St. with Thomas Nasser as HOH. I can't actually get in to read the census because it is on Ancestry.com and at this time I am not a subscriber.

Bottom 4 listings on page:
    http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=allgs&gsfn=Adelle&gsln=Faris&gss=seo&ghc=20

--- Susan

BarberPoster-combo.jpg

BarberPoster.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

In the following New England Business Directory - 1922, page 704, is listed a Tanous Farris of 181 Hope St., Fall River, MA in the dry goods business:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=u3Q1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA704&lpg=PA704&dq=Tanous+Fahris,+Fall+River,+MA&source=bl&ots=35qdYj6b1j&sig=fFEybeYfGmW8q1ZN4IDDmWzDa2o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBWoVChMIkZeoqYDOxwIVDHA-Ch0bvQun#v=onepage&q=Tanous Fahris, Fall River, MA&f=false

BTW, I have seen the name of Tanous Faris spelt in several different ways such as Tanous Ferris, Tanous Fehris, Tamos Ferris, etc...

Here are listings for Tanous Faris dry goods business at 181 Hope Fall River in the following Fall River City Directory for 1921.

p. 282, near the top of the left hand column under Faris saying
    " " Tanous (Barbara) dry goods 181 Hope"
    https://archive.org/stream/fallriverdirecto1921bost#page/282/mode/2up

and on p. 734 he is listed in 1921 at 181 "Hope" Street. Hope St. starts in the middle column. 181 is about the 3rd listing under Hope. It says "Ferris, Tanous Dry Goods." There are 2 other businesses at the same address.
    https://archive.org/stream/fallriverdirecto1921bost#page/734/mode/2up

--- Susan

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Pat P and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Is everyone positive that the name is "Paris"?
    Could that first letter be something else? Although, with Google, they usually will say "Did you mean ****" when you have close, but wrong.

Dang - I missed some posts I see. :(

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Great work, Susan!

7. Ladybranch

Pat, I now see you found the same Faris family in the obit of Eva Faris. At the bottom of her obit in "Other Persons mentioned in the obit" are listed Barbara Faris and Tanous D. They may have been her father and mother.

All I could find at that address for Faris was the dry good with not mention of Barber Supplies. Anyways with the name Faris at that address in 1921 certainly narrows the date down to that time.

--- Susan

Bakersgma and Pat P like this.
  8. Baileylov

Baileylov New Member

Hello, are you still looking for information on this? It is my great grandfather's. If you have it would love to connect with you.

kentworld likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A little late to the party Baily.....Steve hasn't posted here since Aug 18th 2015.
    U could try a private message to him....but I doubt that will get his attention 14 months after the fact.

Still.....neat that you have a family connection.

10. Baileylov

Baileylov New Member

Yeah, I live in the west and will be in the area this weekend. I was searching for his address when I came across the post on the plane. Sure it's long gone, but wanted to try. He had other items with his name on it that my family has. I always love seeing them.

Thank you for getting back to me!

komokwa likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nevermind......just looked up and saw I was about to post same info as a year ago

12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like the guy is wearing a celluloid collar and dickey and the illustration shows a Leyendecker influence. (If that's of any help.)

Draft saved Draft deleted