Featured Bartram Family Joiner

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yay!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

judy, kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  2. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

It is a real beauty, and I expected it to sell for more. In spite of the top, which may not be original, but it looks good.:)

And.... no jinx!:happy:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    James Conrad, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

James, it landed in GOOD HANDS :joyful:
    Very happy for you! Next will be a super Ruth ;)

judy, Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Me too! to be honest. Yeah, I mean i know EXACTLY what those peckerwoods at the Americana sales at Christie's & Sotheby's in NYC are looking for, period Pilgrim furniture that is in perfect condition. NEWS FLASH: It doesn't exist! It never has! Granted, some pieces are more skillfully restored than others but that's about as far as one can go, hells bells we are talking 300+ year old furniture here, come on people, get real.
    Still, I agree a replaced top IS a structural repair and that does lower value.

LIbraryLady, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. James Conrad

If you notice, Wallace Nutting started the provenance trail on that table and, I would bet a fair amount if the truth was told, Nutting himself replaced that top with his own hands.
    Considering he is an icon in the early american furniture world plus he wrote what is still considered the Bible on early american furniture, if he did replace that top himself, that alone is worth the 1200 bucks in my view.

7. James Conrad

The MET has a similar form table, Joined Table with Drawer, the Bolles collection, donated in 1909 by Mrs Russell Sage, probably Boston, 1680-1710
    The top, drawer & drawer runner are replacements

download.png

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No real surprise - after 200 years of use the originals just plain wore out! If you could prove Nutting replaced the top himself, that would boost the value of the table by a fair bit. I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

9. James Conrad

Yeah, I'm not concerned with the value really, I just want the table. Nutting was into making furniture in a BIG way, he opened a furniture factory back in the day to make reproductions.
    Odd thing is, many of his 1920s factory repros are worth more today than what i paid for a period table that once belonged to him, go figure.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking; I know enough about Nutting to remember that his repros are worth money now. He did hand-tinted photographs too, often featuring said furniture.

kyratango, judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Yep, he did, he became RICH coloring photographs and, blew it ALL or almost all of it on building furniture. :rolleyes::(:oops::oops::oops:

kyratango and judy like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm very happy for you, James. Sometimes, you just DESERVE to win!

13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

14. James Conrad

LOL, Yes, at least for a little while. With 300+ year old pieces, it's almost certain that you are just a caretaker until it passes on to someone else.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  15. James Conrad

Another piece I had my eye on at this Vogel sale was this chest of drawers, not to buy but to see what it would sell for, I have a similar Boston chest although not in as good condition. This one has it's original front feet & brass pulls and claims original surface (that's a big fat LIE) but whatever. It sold for 106k, pretty strong number.
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...ne-h-frederick-vogel-iii-n10003/lot.1093.html
    H0046-L161956181.jpg

H0046-L161956189.jpg

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Absolutely.

judy, kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

Up for sale today is a table purportedly owned by Thomas Jefferson, 3rd POTUS, is this true? I dunno, piece appears to have a decent claim, we might find out today how strong that claim is depending on sales price.
    It is for sure an early southern piece which often sell for more than similar form pieces from new england. Cherry, yellow pine secondary, VA. 1730, est 12-18k
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2019/important-americana-n10005/lot.1418.html

H0046-L163033680.jpg

H0046-L163033687.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations on winning the auction for that table!

James Conrad and judy like this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Up for sale today is a table purportedly owned by Thomas Jefferson, 3rd POTUS, is this true?"

It certainly could be. He was a spendthrift, and loved reimagining Monticello, an expensive hobby! Lots of furniture was needed.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  20. James Conrad

Yes, it could be and, he was constantly in money issues because of this, that & the other thing so yes, it certainly could be his table. I am guessing but hopefully the sales price later today should tell us something as surely furniture scholars will check?
    It's a very good example i realize but if actually a piece that TJ owned, i would think it will go for a big number, well beyond it's normal value.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted