Featured Bartram Family Joiner

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Jan 12, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That happens at estate sales too. A guy I know who buys silver went right over a busted watch. Said watch is an Omega with a serial number from 1956. Oops. At an estate sale, the dealer priced the designer costume fairly high, but missed the circa 1910 gold pendant on a gold-filled chain. I didn't. (LOL) The more of those overlooked secondary, ahem, pieces the better for us!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, i would guess the Vogel's would have done better money wise to break the collection up, the really valuable stuff at the Americana sales in NYC & the less valuable objects at other auction houses where they wouldn't get "lost".
    Still, people with a collection like that don't think about maximizing it's value that way so yes, much better for the rest of us no doubt!

judy likes this.
  3. James Conrad

I placed the table this morning & snapped a couple phone cam pics, it's BIG, I am thinking that could be one reason so few survived.

edited-image.png
    drawer (1).jpg
    top 1 (1).jpg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone was definitely asleep at the switch. I wonder how old the replacement top is; it might only be 100 years old. Only.

5. James Conrad

I don't know, it looks better in person than the photos show for some reason, it is hand planed on both sides and SERIOUSLY heavy but, not original to the table.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. James Conrad

Not Me! I was on it the moment i laid eyes on it! And counting on the snobs to ignore it, which they did! :singing::singing::singing:

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the win. It's a great table. I always learn a lot from reading your posts.

Any Jewelry, judy and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

Thanks! Yes, it is a very nice example, not many of them around, i am happy to have it, if only for a little while.

Any Jewelry, sch3gsd and judy like this.
  9. James Conrad

Alrighty then, an update on the chest that started this thread, MAD March edition came out yesterday & talks about Chris Storb (in proportion to the trouble) blog posts on Bartram Family Joiner which i reposted here. Winning bidder was well known Pennsylvania dealer Philip Bradley, i was the underbidder, I PUSHED YOU PHIL! LOL, i had NO CHANCE against this guy!

On the Thomas Jefferson W&M side table
    " There was institutional interest in this W&M side table, C 1730. It sold for $118,750 to Sumpter Priddy of Alexandria Virginia, for a collector"

Hmmmm, a collector huh, Priddy is probably the preeminent dealer in early southern furniture in america. If he bought it, I'd say it's the real deal, doesn't look like Monticello had deep enough pockets on this one, to bad, i was rooting for them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted