Base & Interior Color as ID for Cloisonné Origin?

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, Jun 25, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

These 2 items are long-time keepers. Neither appear to be signed. fullsizeoutput_972e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_972c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_972b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_972a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9734.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9731.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9732.jpeg fullsizeoutput_972f.jpeg

The Ginger Jar interior is the same color as the lid underside and the base; the plate shows a starkly different shade...but both have the same pattern of cloisons, graduated more extremely on the plate. It's ~7⅞" diameter, with a ~4½" base.

The symbol (character?) in the center of the plate I think is called shou; which way is correctly up, and what is its meaning? Also, the symmetrical crosses (16 of them) may have significance, but I'm over my head about that. The base color is an intense blue.

The Ginger Jar is ~5¾" high with lid, ~5" diameter. The base & lid interior are a vivid Turquoise; the jar interior has been dulled & pitted with what appears to be water and/or soil...I haven't cleaned it, but the original color looks uniform with lid & base. The Chrysanthemum on the lid has 17 petals; an Imperial Japanese Chrysanthemum has only 16.

I'll be most grateful for y'all's illumination about either of these...Thanks!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted