Featured Basket Help Please

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Mar 10, 2023.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I went to a sale today and picked up a few baskets. One is easy to identify, a Sweet Grass Basket from South Carolina (it has an information paper with it):)
    The other I'm not sure about. I thought maybe First Nations, but after looking closer at it I don't think it is. The main reason is the way the design has been put on, it doesn't look right to me for a First Nations piece. I remember reading an imbricated design should/will look like corn kernels and this doesn't. Also the way the basket ends on the rim doesn't look right for a First Nations basket. So maybe African? I have no idea if my thinking is correct, so looking forward to hearing what you all have to say:) It is 7"H x 3" across the bottom.
    The last photo is of another basket, has a signature that I can't read and a phone number, looking up the area code it is from Eastern Quebec. It is large, 17"H x 16". I'm keeping it so I'm not concerned with figuring out who made it, just sharing it:)
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking.
    Imports - 1 of 2.jpeg Imports - 2 of 2.jpeg Imports - 2 of 3.jpeg Imports - 1 of 3.jpeg Imports - 1 of 2 (1).jpeg Imports - 3 of 3.jpeg Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg Imports - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup, African.
    hard to stay away from those...specially when they're nice !

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

woo hoo, thanks komokwa:) I'm learning from hanging out here and taking in all the helpful information you and so many others pass on:) It cost me $1, but worth it to try and figure it out:)

4. komokwa

y'now.....because of where you live ......I'd suggest , a little study of west coast basketry would be in order.
    fer a buck, it's a nice household basket......but imo....u should be on the lookout for 1st nations baskets....in good condition....that you could actually make money on !!

an old pal of mine , grew up living all over the lower mainland ...but travelled ' all over ' BC & Alberta......likely walking right past the things I'd drool over !
    He never owned a native piece of art in his life !

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm always on the lookout for First Nations items, not really that much kicking around locally. I have a small collection of baskets, but don't come across them very often. Carvings are what I see here on a regular basis, but always on the lookout for other stuff:)

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

I know that.......:happy::kiss:
    I was just being ......... a jerk !
    :sorry::sorry:

Draft saved Draft deleted