Featured Bassett chest, looking for info

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cozwurth, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Cozwurth

Cozwurth New Member

Hello,
    As I said in my intro post, I recently inherited a Bassett chest from my grandmother. Here is what I know about it...
    - It was in the house that my grandparents bought just after WWII, around 1946 or so.
    - Both of my dad's sisters used it, as well as the matching vanity. (My mother has the vanity & stool).
    - It has had some repairs done over the years. (The front of the upper large drawer is on upside down. That will eventually get fixed)
    - All of the drawer pulls on this have been replaced. Mom's vanity only has one original pull left. The younger of my two aunts said that it was original.
    - Some (most) of the beadwork is missing. There are still several of the original wire brads remaining in one of the drawer fronts that used to fasten them.

Does anyone have an idea when this was made? front-small.jpg back-small.jpg foot-small.jpg drawer pull-small.jpg
    I am looking for original, or at least close to original, drawer pulls for this as well as mom's vanity.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

1920s. The pull does look original. You should be able to get similar pulls in sets on ebay. Otherwise, reproductions are available.

3. Cozwurth

Cozwurth New Member

Thanks, Brad. So it was already 'just an old piece of furniture' when my grandparents bought the house. That's good to know. I have done a little bit of searching for the pulls, but have not found anything close to the original. Where would be a good place to look, other than ebay? I will set up a search notification on ebay in the meantime.
    -Dave

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

5. verybrad

Here is a link to one source for reproduction drop-pulls. The first several are for older styles but scroll down to see some more appropriate for your piece. This is just one source I found through a search and need to mention that I have no affiliation or dealings with this company.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/drop-pulls

cxgirl, Figtree3, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Cozwurth

Cozwurth New Member

Yeah, I found them, too. They have some beautiful stuff. I like their beaded drop pull, and the beaded ring pull. I think either one of them would look good on this chest.

Ring pull:
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/beaded-round-single-post-pull-1-5-7-inch-diameter

Drop pull:
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/beaded-ring-pendant-pull?sc=11&category=96

I think the base on the drop may be too small to cover where the base of the originals was.

Another place, D. Lawless Wholesale has some very nice stuff, too, but nothing like my original.
    https://www.dlawlesshardware.com/ring-pulls.html

I'd really love to find some like the originals, though.

cxgirl, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Originals will be hard, especially finding more than 9 matching originals. The ones you found are kind of expensive by the time you buy more than 10 of them. Here's a link to an ebay seller that seems to have compatible repro's at $4 each that seems to me to be a closer match: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antiqued-S...182194?hash=item59031adfb2:g:2AoAAOSwi49bK~Oy
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Cozwurth

Cozwurth New Member

Jeff, thanks for the link. That's a nice looking pull. We actually need a total of 16 pulls. 10 for my chest, and 6 for mom's vanity. The trick is going to be finding pulls that match the furniture that both of us like since these pieces are a matched set. Eventually the vanity will be mine as well, though I'm not looking forward to that day...
    We both like this drop pull:
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/antique-hardware-flower-pendant-drop-pull?sc=11&category=96
    Two things work against it, though. It's too long for the small drawers on my chest, and the center drawer in mom's vanity. The base is also too small to cover the marks left behind from the original pulls. The one you linked seems to cover both of those issues. Now to see if she likes it...

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Good luck. If you decide to go for it, I would ask the seller a question first. Ask for a price for 16 at once, and to of course combine shipping. I would start at about half the full price and see where it goes..

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's very nice of you to take the time to help in the search for pulls, @Jeff Drum .

12. Cozwurth

Cozwurth New Member

I got my hardware in the other day. I ordered enough of the larger pulls to do my top drawers as well, but wanted to see how the smaller round pulls looked. I also took a pic of mom's vanity with the new hardware as well. The mirror is there, but not seen in the picture. I'll get a pic of that once we get it in the house. 2019-10-15 19.18.41.jpg 2019-10-15 19.22.41.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  13. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

cxgirl likes this.
  14. verybrad

Looks great, albeit a bit shiny. I am sure that a bit of time will take care of that.

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The new pulls look good, as do the furniture pieces. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted