Featured Bauer pottery Matt Carlton fan vases: no love?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sedona, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I thought I’d share this story…I’ve been collecting pottery for a while, chiefly pre-war California pottery, and have a number of Bauer and Catalina Island vases. After downsizing some things after a huge remodel, I thought I’d take these Bauer Matt Carlton hand-thrown fan vases to a well known Los Angeles antique dealer who sells chiefly early 20th century vintage pieces (lighting, furniture, pottery, art etc.). I was thinking of buying a vintage piece, and trading these in for credit towards a purchase.

To my surprise the dealer wasn’t interested at all. Bauer is one of the iconic Los Angeles-based pre-war potteries, and is known for its glazes. Matt Carlton’s Rebekah vases were very expensive a few decades ago. The fan vases are still very popular, and are mentioned in Jack Chipman’s Bauer Pottery book. eBay prices remain high, but of course people can ask whatever they want.

The crowds at the Los Angeles Pottery Show have been skewing older for a while, and the venue has gotten smaller. Whereas vintage lighting seems to be still pretty hot, I wonder if, with some exceptions, collecting vintage California pottery and ceramics has peaked.

IMG_4700.jpeg

trip98, Rclinftl, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Here in N. Fl the art pottery market has collapsed. With the exceptions of a few brands,it all goes begging.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they must have peaked...at least with the dealer.....!

if they were still hot.....he'd have swooped them up ...

4. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

everything has peeked - this is August - most peeps (collectors and dealers alike) concentrate on vacations and such this time of year - look back at the market in late october and november and december and I am sure there will be an upswing in interest...

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I have a friend who collects roseville in a major way. The pieces now show up at the thrift stores.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted