Bavaria dish flower handle gold gilted & painted with cherries marked Mabel E. Young 1913

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ihaveolditems, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

I got this from a nice lady who was moving houses & selling about everything they owned from this to their 4000$ leather couches. It is marked in Green with Bavaria and is signed in gold ink/paint Mabel E. Young 1913... seller said she used it for holding napkins on their table. She came over to me after her husband asked her if she would negotiate with Me on the items and said they were her mother's. (This must have been her mothers mothers if it is over 100 years old. Anyways I paid probably three to five dollars for this depending on how you apply the discount( got some plates with it for 13$ out of advertised $15 price.) any idea if Mabel young is the maker or the old owner? Is this a 1913 item or some time earlier? Bavaria is the only official looking marking. It's lovely isn't it?

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Mabel was the hobbyist painter and painted this in 1913. "China painting" was a very common lady's hobby from the late 1800's into the early 1900's.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I totally agree with Bakersgma!!!!
    greg

judy, Christmasjoy and Ihaveolditems like this.
  4. Ihaveolditems

Does that increase the demand or does that reduce total desirability because she was probably not a known name? If it isn't a hobbyist piece it's not commercial.

5. Bakersgma

Who the hobbyist was is irrelevant. Does the piece display talent? Is it neatly done? Is the china part free of flaws - cracks, hairlines, chips? Those are the things I look for and at if considering such a piece for purchase.

Whether there is "demand" in the general antiques market for hobbyist painted china, I don't know. I just know that I've never paid more than $10 for one - and that took some serious thought about whether I really had to have it.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Ihaveolditems

I love the item and will probably never sell it. For whatever reason I was thinking Mabel was just the owner but her dating the piece does add clarity that she probably painted it... fantastic info! Thanks guys

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Ihaveolditems

No cracks or hairlines, gold painted flower and edging is all 100% intact and not faded or rubbed off, and the gold flower handle can be used without fear of breakage & dropping it. Also the design is just beautiful in person!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

It's very nice! Enjoy it.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted