Bayonets Help

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by cxgirl, Sep 17, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I have 3 bayonets I need help with, 2 Ross Rifle Co and 1 German.
    I imagine there are fakes bayonets out there so I'm not sure if mine are real, any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    #1 Ross Rifle Co Bayonet in Leather Sheaf, the bayonet is 14 1/2"L, in the sheath it is 16 1/2"L. I found a website that explains the marks - Marked on the pommel Ross Rifle Co Quebec, on the other side II for mark #2; an arrowhead shape in a circle,the CDN Gov't mark; crown over 4 is the Ross factory inspection mark and issue date - 5/16, also crown over number marks on the side, CDN Gov't mark on the sheath.
    Does it look okay?
    DSCF0746.jpg DSCF0736.jpg
    there are numbers on the wood part, looks like 555
    DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg DSCF0741.jpg DSCF0745.jpg DSCF0748.jpg DSCF0750.jpg DSCF0796.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#2 is another Ross Rifle Co, no sheath, it is 13 3/4"L. The blade looks odd, maybe has been painted? The marks are the same as pretty much the same as the one above, a different issue date, 12/16. This one has a different cross guard step than the one above.
    DSCF0754.jpg DSCF0756.jpg DSCF0757.jpg
    DSCF0758.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg
    hard to see the marks on the above photo, this gives a bit better look, a can see the crown mark

DSCF0792.jpg
    DSCF0760.jpg DSCF0763.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    bobsyouruncle and i need help like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

look fine to me.
    good killing weapons...... likely stuck in a few ribs !!!

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#3 is a German bayonet K98, 14 3/4"L, in the metal scabbard it is 16"L.
    There are numbers/letters on the blade, S/245 & 9450; on the top of the handle is a little metal plaque and 2 marks above that are inspection marks. Also marks on the scabbard, ?2SW & 8729 with a maker mark underneath? Looks like black paint on the blade? Not sure if original or added on.
    any help appreciated:)
    DSCF0768.jpg DSCF0769.jpg DSCF0770.jpg DSCF0771.jpg DSCF0772.jpg DSCF0775.jpg DSCF0777.jpg DSCF0780.jpg
    DSCF0787.jpg DSCF0789.jpg

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you komokwa:) yea, it is a little creepy to think how these might have been used.
    is there a reason they would have different cross guard steps?

komokwa likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

What is the length of just the blade on the German one?

cxgirl likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

just the blade is 9 1/2"L

8. sabre123

I recently did a lot of research on a Polish bayonet that I found and that research overlapped with German blades. There is a lot of nuance to these, in terms of design/marks/reworks/etc., so please take this as general info to help you do your own research to get to the finer points on the piece.

That looks like a 84/98 or K98 bayonet. During certain time periods, Germany used a letter / number code in lieu of having a manufacturer's name on the blade.

S/245 is:
    Jetter & Scheerer, Tuttlingen

Year they manufactured these blades: 1934-1941

From '25-'36, there would have been a letter under the S/245 indicating the year of production. Yours does not have that, so I would assume it to be 1937-1941.

It's a non-matching scabbard to the blade, which is not uncommon. Looks similar to the scabbard that came with my Polish bayonet. Mine was made in Austria, but I don't think this on is the same. With some determination, you should be able to find it.

That button on the pommel is the press/catch and should push in and release back. It may take some effort.

9. sabre123

Also, I don't think that's paint you see on the blade. It could have been blued at some point, or could just be age and patina. Hard to tell from the pics

komokwa, i need help and cxgirl like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the guard could have been fouled ...then cut off to better suit the blade as a fighting knife..

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you sabre123, this is great information:)
    thanks komokwa:)
    I didn't even notice the list, thanks Dave:)

komokwa and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted