Featured Bead lovers, can you help identify these?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

20210807_124551.jpg 20210807_124545.jpg $5 flea market find today. The clasp is marked Judith McCann 1981 NYC. The beads are strung on metal wire. The glass colors look like they are melted onto black glass beads. Lampwork beads? Venetian or Murano glass? Japanese, Czech, Italian? Is there a name for these bumpy beads? I googled foiled beads and foiled lampwork beads, didn’t see these. Thanks.
    20210807_124511.jpg 20210807_124543.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Italian, I'd say. They're scrambled beads. Forgotten the name for the lumpy look.

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Bear, can you find an example of these on the internet and post a link for reference? I tried googling scrambled beads, nothing came up. Thanks for the help.

4. Ownedbybear

I'll have a rootle round. Scramble is the proper glass/paperweight term, it ought to work. Be back.....

judy, LauraGarnet02, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

You could also keyword fused and confetti.My guess would be American studio glass done with Italian technique. I would not use the word Murano.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Marko, I wasn't sure if you could read the mark on the back of the catch? There appears to be a Copyright mark at the end?

MARK ON BRACELET-2X SIZE.jpg

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

When I Google fused confetti glass, this shows up.
    1400938609470.jpeg
    This looks a bit different than the beads.

judy, LauraGarnet02 and KSW like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes!

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I do think confetti describes them, though.

LauraGarnet02, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

There - are all different kinds of confetti glass.IMO the one you posted is atypical but confetti is a fair term to use. Here’s another:
    https://www.totalwine.com/accessories-

more/accessories/glassware/spirits-glasses/bambeco-confetti-tumbler-glass-4pk/p/149639920?glia=true&s=1123&&pid=cpc:Core+Catalog+-+Shopping%2BUS%2BCALI%2BENG%2BSPART::google::&gclid=CjwKCAjw3riIBhAwEiwAzD3Tic3UztEi5EL4kpCv_JNRilZAy1rlbDTOce5WwVVty-CEppR-zpr0shoCFHwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

judy likes this.
  11. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I think maybe the word you're looking for, for all the little colored bumpy pieces is frit.

I think I remember this from a very long time ago, a thread about Coraline glass.

David Kiehl, judy and reader like this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Evelyb said on the finds thread they are Japanese frit beads. I can't find il_794xN.2589010233_bxqc.jpg many examples, but here is one.

judy, reader and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Googling frit beads, here is a vintage German bead described as a "textured sugar bead."
    shopping.jpeg

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

So maybe "Japanese frit sugar beads."

judy likes this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I don’t know that they’re Japanese and yes they are frit as frit just means fused bits. Glass techniques are all crossed over from the late 70s forward when Murano techniques were taught in WA state. Confetti just means multicolored bits-you don’t have to use the word but it’s certainly OK to use it. Regardless it’s really terrific glass.

David Kiehl and judy like this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks, and thanks for your help.

KSW, judy and reader like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

The crossovers go back well before the 70s.

KSW and judy like this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think this designer may have used vintage materials.

KSW and reader like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m sure vintage materials were repurposed forever but American studio glass was pretty crude until the late 70s when Lino Taliapietra, a Murano master, first came to the US revealing centuries old Murano techniques to US glassblowers and was ostracized in Italy because of this. It took many years for Lino to be reembraced in Italy and he’s considered by many to be the most important glass blower in the world. He’s definutely the guy who brought technique to American studio glass.

Marko, KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  20. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted