Beaded and jeweled bands - Native American?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by UncleChuckTX, Sep 5, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I found these while helping to clean out an estate sale that had lots of Native American decor and tourist collectibles. I'm guessing these might be hand-beaded crafty souvenirs or similar. If they are NA, does anyone know what they are for?

The two black ones are rough 10" long, the lighter one about 9". As you can see there are no clasps or other fastener mechanisms, and no excess fabric like I would expect to see if these were intended as sewing appliques for clothing or costumes.

I'm curious more than anything. Thanks for any info you can share.

IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not NA. They appear to have rhinestones in metal cups on the front.

Christmasjoy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

Thanks!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not NA. Some kind of 1980s fashion thing maybe?

UncleChuckTX and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very 1980s, I still have some. They're parts of belts.

6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for the replies. I realize not all turquoise-colored design is NA - honest! I guess the other items in the estate sale gave me a false impression.

Perhaps I have this backwards. I was thinking these were created to add to something (like a belt part, or hatband, or dress applique). Were they originally part of of one of those things, and the owner cut out the fancy bits to save for a craft project, etc., once the main piece was worn out? The jagged edge cuts are part of my confusion.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

They've been cut. Mine have long pieces of plain fabric attached, sometimes with fringe ties, some with sort of clips to them.

8. UncleChuckTX

Thank you! I get it now.

Christmasjoy and Ownedbybear like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Most welcome. They're rather nice, those.

Christmasjoy and UncleChuckTX like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted