Featured Beaded Cloth Covered Jewelry Box - Age?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was curious about this medium sized (6.5" square and 4"high) jewelry box. I don't know what era it comes from. The underlying box is heavy wood that is completely covered by green linen (?) cloth. It has a beaded center piece and a wrapped tassel for opening it. When you open it, it has a mirror with a beaded flower and trim around the edge. The upper tray can be removed exposing a compartment underneath.

I am absolutely sure that you all will know when this kind of box was in vogue. I have no clue.

IMG_7059 (1).JPG IMG_7060.JPG IMG_7061.JPG IMG_7062.JPG IMG_7063.JPG IMG_7064 (1).JPG IMG_7066 (1).JPG IMG_7067.JPG

lovewrens, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'/d think 70s channelling earlier. It might be Edwardian but if it is, the condition is astonishing.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty.:) It looks East Asian to me.

KikoBlueEyes, johnnycb09 and bluumz like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

5. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I’m with bluumz, quite recent

KikoBlueEyes and bluumz like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with date and source. A popular and attractive import in its (recent) time.

Debora

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm with Bluumz too. 1990s or even later. It's pretty but not old.

8. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. It has a silk interior that I think points to an earlier age, but after looking at Edwardian boxes I couldn't find anything like it. I think 70's is about right, though I can't find anything in that range either.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I suspected that kind of hand work from that locale. The bead must have been sown in, or they wouldn't have survived for any length of time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I'm not sure I agree because the one you posted does not have the same quality of workmanship. I say that with the caveat that I asked because I really don't know. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

bluumz likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for looking. I usually don't look at newer things.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Debora. I must admit, I accept your authority when it comes to things. I have found your breadth of your knowledge to be absolutely astonishing. Thank you for helping me with my humble box.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Another highly qualified expert chimes in. I have been persuaded it's newer. I had hoped for 70's at least. Thank you.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, my goodness. That's quite a compliment. And before I forget my manners, thank you. But really... You flatter me.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I am always amazed. You're welcome.

16. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Sometimes photos just don’t show things correctly, other times I’m absolutely off my rocker, and still other times I may do a 180’ if it were in my hands. Not that I employ more than a gut feeling, having handled a lot of varied vintage& antique items in the past 40 years, sometimes it’s just a guess, but I’m pretty good at spotting the truly aged pieces.
    To be really sure I would closely inspect the beaded area - are the beads individually stitched to the top, or are they an appliqué which has been heavily glued & barely tacked down with fishing line type acrylic thread?
    If older I would expect period appropriate findings ie wood frame vs cardboard, cotton padding vs foam rubber…..all the way through to glass beads vs plastic.
    When I started collecting I was much pickier…. Every. Little. Thing. had to be period. But I’ve come to the point that certain things are more about function, and if they’re well made and aesthetically pleasing, then they remain in what becomes a lovingly curated collection of beauty spanning the years and reflecting my time and tastes while here.

my point, & yes I DO have one
    Is it doesn’t mean it’s garbage just because it’s more recent, quality is quality.

I had wine. Nuff said.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    BoudiccaJones and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

I'm so glad you had some wine. I have been known to enjoy a glass or two myself. Please don't misunderstand, I very much appreciate you taking a look at something I post. I am still in the learning stages even though I've been hanging around here since 2018. My work was in public service. I only took up learning about older things four years ago.

I know nothing about jewelry boxes. There were a lot of factors that you mention that I took into consideration before I presented this box here. I have a lot of respect for the various members of this forum. I wouldn't knowingly waste people's time on something that I didn't think was worthwhile, i.e. newer.

That being said, I am often wrong about pieces. If I knew the tiniest percentage of what you know, I wouldn't need to ask. Please bear with me. Sometimes, I come up with something good.

18. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Oh my gosh Kiko you have such a discerning eye and bring WONDERFUL pieces here, so don’t think I’m doing anything other than clarifying the fact that I am in no way disparaging anything about this piece - and by the way, it is leagues above the other box bluumz posted. You have never wasted anyones time here, especially not mine.

BoudiccaJones and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

I’ll have a glass of wine then and we will have toast.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do still think it's earlier than the 90s. Too well made for the later very mass market. And if that's a real silk lining, that points to better quality.

So I'm sticking with 70s. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted