Featured Beaded hand-made French purse w/beautiful pattern Any info? Thanks

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antique85, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Perfect.:)

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And eco friendly, too. ;)

3. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that. Thank you for sharing this information. It is very helpful.

4. Ownedbybear

You're very welcome. Plastic propagates mould, whereas cloth will let them breathe, so to speak.

antique85 likes this.
  5. antique85

OMG I did not know that. This is very important and helpful to me. (I assumed plastic boxes were good storage):banghead: Thank you very much.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

I'm not fond of plastic for storing anything other than china or glass, to be honest. Certainly not fabrics or leather, or even jewellery.

antique85 likes this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@antique85 Where do you get those cool arrows and circles! I hand draw mine and they are awful!
    Leslie

8. antique85

In mac OS I open the program "Preview" and then Select "Tools," select "annotate" and this includes the following shapes that can be inserted: --"Rectangle," "Oval," "Line," "Arrow," "Polygon." and "Star." Once inserted it is easy to adjust the size and color. Let me know if this works!

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

There is my problem! I don't have a MAC! Thanks anyway!
    Leslie

10. antique85

Here is an article on "how to insert and annotate a picture in Word by Lifewire: "https://www.lifewire.com/annotating-an-image-in-microsoft-word-3539867" There are loads of annotation shapes--See screenshot below.

Many of the search results for "Windows Photos annotation" are for downloads to do annotation. Perhaps a Window's user could recommend a download they use.

This Microsoft article shows how to Annotating images with Snip & Sketch  but I think you have to hand draw them? : "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ca08e124-cc30-2579-3e55-6db63e36fbb9"

annotate windows.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Depends on the buyer... are they a collector or a user, do they want to just display it or actually use it? Are they handy with a needle and thread, and can they source similar replacement beads?
    I have some interest in older beaded bags. The design on yours is rather generic (therefore not very interesting for display) and, considering the bead loss and potential for more loss without stabilization, it's not in usable condition either.
    I admit that I'd be unlikely to pay more than $20 US for it, if even that.
    JMHO, though. Another potential buyer out there may disagree.

I'd love to see close-up photos of both parts of the clasp. :)
    And the varying colors of the ground fabric look kind of wonky?

antique85 likes this.
  12. antique85

Hi Bluumz, Thank you for taking the time to write your informative post. I don't know anything about beaded bags, so it was interesting to me that you think the bag's design is "generic."
    I would be curious if others only think it is only worth around $20.

Per your post, I have included 1. close-up photos of both parts of the clasps. 2.) Closeup of the parts of the bag with the "wonky" colored fabric.

1 (1).JPG

2 copy.jpg

5 copy 2.jpg

4 copy 2.jpg

3 copy 2.jpg

2 copy.jpg

6 copy 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2021
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a chain stitch in muted tan, gold, green and blue. Perhaps meant to emphasis the foliate and wave motifs.

Debora

antique85 likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

I think it's an ombre type thread. I'm not seeing overmuch damage on it. I pay ten to twenty pounds for these but I'm a tight cheapskate.

antique85 likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Northern Lights Lodge, if you have a WINDOWS based computer, it comes with "Accessories" in it.....in that is a program called "Paint".....in there....if you fiddle around, you CAN do computer generated arrows, circles, squares, etc.! I haven't played with it in ages, (because I use Photoshop) except for just a few minutes ago to see if it would do what you want......which it does, but it DOES take some fiddling until you're used to it!! But you CAN get what you want out of it. Go to Start-Programs-Windows Accessories-Paint.....then open a junk image and play to your heart's content until you're comfortable with it, in your spare time!!! Have fun!!:):) Sample image below...

6 copy 2 copyXX.jpg

antique85 likes this.
  16. Northern Lights Lodge

@Aquitaine
    Awesome! I'll have to give it a whirl! I think that will be the berries
    I've given the "bead loss" a lot of thought. I agree heartily that there are beads missing. However, as someone who dealt for 13 years with "bead loss" at a bridal salon.... it didn't quite look right to me. I finally figured out why!

Unless someone went to all the bother of "pulling back" or cut off all the loose ends which would have been created by bead loss - which I kind of doubt... there are no loose threads hanging out. At least I can't SEE any in the photos... if they are there my theory is kapoot!

If they had just "cut the threads off" - there would be beads falling every time anyone handled the bag.... leaving long bead threads hanging out again.

My thought process then leads me to believe that the pieces were "pre beaded" - probably filling a stamped outline... probably AFTER the chain stitching was applied. And then whomever put the chain stitched, beaded pieces together - did a poor job and sewing the pieces together; leaving unbeaded gaps. It strikes me that even if that had occurred; that a "good" needleworker/beader...would fill in the cloth gaps with beads. I don't think that occurred.

My 2 cents...
    Cheerio
    Leslie

Ownedbybear, antique85 and Aquitaine like this.
  17. antique85

Ownedbybear: I am following your excellent advice and wrapping items in soft cloths or pillowcases. What type of container/box do you suggest I put these wrapped items in? I was thinking of a brown cardboard box? Thank you again for your excellent advice.

18. antique85

Wow!! Your theory is really impressive and very very interesting-- as is your 13 years of experience with "bead loss" at a bridal salon. I would never have thought to look for loose threads and what it means if they are none. This is useful information. Thank you for taking the time to share your vast knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  19. Ownedbybear

Brown cardboard would be perfect. Inert but lets air in.

antique85 likes this.
  20. Northern Lights Lodge

LOL! Thank you for the compliment! I guess I never thought much about it before contemplating those photos. Yes, I was the "full time" beader, veil repairer... we had several seamstresses. However, our jobs didn't cross over much. One of the seamstresses would go upstairs to do the fitting on the bride or whomever; and the dress would come back downstairs "pinned" to fit properly (if it was too big). If it was too small that was another kettle of fish. I was there in the 90's and those dresses were big puffballs of tulle, appliques, lace, pearls and sequins!

If the dress had to be taken in - some shops would just fold the sides together and sew over the beads, sequins and all - making for a very lumpy bumpy unprofessional looking side seam....and of course, adding perhaps a 1/2" to an 1" to the bride's waist measurement... which of course, the bride wouldn't like! In addition to sewing over all those sequins and pearls; was really difficult on sewing machines...they'd get stuck and you'd break needles right and left.... really the wrong way to take in the seams!

My job would be to even up the pins - so we were putting the seam in properly and evenly - and then carefully unbead all the lace that needed to be removed (and secure all the loose ends so more beads wouldn't fall off) and then clip all the threads attaching the lace to the dress (at the seam or hem) and pin it out of the way. Then it would go back to the seamstress who would sew the side seams or the hem with the sewing machine and then it would come back to me.

At that point; I'd have to carefully clip the lace design to fit nicely together at the seam. Perhaps only overlapping a small bit of the lace (instead of the 3 -6" that may now be extra)... and then of course, re-attach the beads in the appropriate design to match however the lace was decorated. Yes, this would all be hand work! And most of the dresses that came in - were ALL beaded AFTER the lace was attached to the dress. It was a very rare expensive dress indeed, that the lace was beaded FIRST and THEN attached to the dress.

IF the dress was too small - we'd have to find matching fabric (a REAL job as white isn't always white!) and make gores and gussets for the sides. Then I'd have to "invent" lace trim to fill the new side seam gusset/gores. Sometimes appropriate lace that was cut off another dress would be appropriate, sometimes we could order from the manufacturer, sometimes we'd just have to wing it!

Our goal was to have the bride try it on... and be DELIGHTED that it fit...and then say; "But what did you DO to it? I can't see that you DID anything!" :)

So yes, I guess I know about loose threads! Every seamstresses NIGHTMARE is to watch a bride try on a gown and AUTOMATICALLY (every bride seems to do it) is run their hands down the front or sides of the dress to "smooth it".... AGGGH! Knocking off beads in the process! LOL! Let's say it kept me employed for 13 years!

Oh, let me tell ya, I've got stories! :)
    Leslie

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    antique85 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted