Featured beaded handbag/purse, ivory handle ?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by charlie cheswick, Jun 22, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hey guys

found this at a boot sale this morn for £2

do we think the handle is ivory ?

any info on age, or where it came from would be a great help

any thoughts appreciated

Aviary Photo_132056827667929798.jpg Aviary Photo_132056828274362897.jpg Aviary Photo_132056830203781338.jpg Aviary Photo_132056830578028526.jpg Aviary Photo_132056829563289430.jpg Aviary Photo_132056828814052351.jpg Aviary Photo_132056831035762298.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, ivory. Screaming Schreger lines.

Ghopper1924, reader, judy and 6 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Guessing 1920s. (Yes, they had zippers.) Is ring large enough that a woman could wear it like a bangle while she did the Charleston? [Edit: not unless you have extremely large hands!]

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree and that’s a beauty!

Ghopper1924, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

Thanks for the info Bronwen, I never knew about Schreger lines untill I joined the forum, so I'm learning new things as well

Will probably have to remove the handle, if I decide to resell

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, no! I realize situation with selling ivory but removing handle will destroy integrity (and value) of the piece.

Debora

7. Bronwen

If you sell on line, there's the trick of saying you think it's Celluloid but you're not sure, then make sure you have a good closeup of the handle. Also describe the whole thing as antique, even though it's probably not quite 100 years old yet.

Totally agree with Debora: of far less interest & value if dismantled. And you'd have to cut the ivory or pick out the stitching & sew again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    bluumz, Christmasjoy, judy and 5 others like this.
  8. charlie cheswick

Yeah I do kind of agree deb, I'm not in a hurry to get rid, and it feels a bit crass to remove it

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

If you hang on to it long enough, you'll be able to say 'antique' without guilt.

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good advice above. A "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" sale. Will have very little collector interest without handle. It's survived this long in such wonderful condition; think of shepherding it into the hands of someone who will appreciate and safeguard it into the future.

Debora

11. Bronwen

Without the handle, not sure you would get your 2 pounds back. There are an awful lot of beaded evening bags on the market. The handle is what makes this one special.

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t remove the handle Charlie. That piece is very old and may we’ll be at or over the 100 years rule which here in the US I believe allows it to be legally sold with a licensed authenticator’s letter. Not saying that it would be profitable to do that but IMO you totally destroy the bag if you do remove the ivory. You need to find out your local laws or wait for the experts here.

What about donation with a write off to the fashion department of a museum? Or a gift to someone who will appreciate it? Here in the US ivory is not illegal to own or gift, only illegal to sell unless again it’s over 100 years old with legally accepted documentation. (I know there are some exceptions with musical instruments etc).

Since you have virtually no investment in the piece I wouldn’t make any decisions quickly. Just put it away for now in acid free tissue and do some research.

judy, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

Yeah I agree, I don't actually like it, I only decided to buy when I saw the lines, if I hadn't I would have left it

14. charlie cheswick

Thanks for the advice mate

Christmasjoy, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Really dangerous IMO to do the celluloid thing. Respectfully lack of knowledge is not an excuse for breaking laws and that ring is clearly ivory. Not worth chancing it. I realize people do that all the time but here in the US Ebayers have gotten nailed for stuff like selling sea turtle as “alligator belly”.

Christmasjoy, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Likes all a round...for the bag & the frank discussion !!!!!!! :):):):):):)

17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

OP said he paid 2£ for it... ut means it wasn't in US:)
    Don't know what the laws are in UK

judy, charlie cheswick and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I realize that which is why I specifically stated that he needed to find out his local laws but I can only answer according to my own country. Ebay e.g. pretty much goes by US law regardless of where the seller is located and the ivory ban is pretty much universal for western countries. It is definitely banned in the UK although I don’t know their age restriction.

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Ebay for the example I posted although it’s been said that US Wildlife and Game trolls listings and reports to eBay. That’s hearsay but I believe it. We got fined heavily by W&G in the 80s over a gray area issue at a B&M retailer but it was easier to pay the fine than try and fight it.

Draft saved Draft deleted