Beatles Posters

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by kraftblue, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me about these posters? Is the Sgt Peppers poster a record store promo poster?

Kath bea1.JPG bea2.JPG bea3.JPG bea4.JPG bea5.JPG bea6.JPG bea7.JPG bea8.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just a guess off the top of my head. Because the Sgt. Peppers poster says "The Original" at the top, I am thinking this is related to a reissue of the album.

3. kraftblue

Fig that could be...thanks

Kath

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The Sgt Pepper's album came with a poster in it. It would have fold marks to match the album cover size.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first shows them in about '64 - '65, but that doesn't necessarily mean the poster is that old.

6. Figtree3

Another thought... "The Original" could have been, well - original to the album. The album was creating a mythology about this Sgt. Peppers band that had supposedly been around for 20 years ("It was 20 years ago today..."). So if the poster was going along with the myth, perhaps it was original.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

were they making prerecorded audio tapes when this album came out ?

8. kraftblue

Thanks for everyones input. I might list them together and see what happens. I thought they may have been something good

Kath

9. Figtree3

10. kraftblue

Just checked...mine has a 1978 date on it...wont bother listing it then

Kath

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don’t recall the Sgt. Pepper’s album having a poster insert. The White Album had those photo inserts but that’s the only Beatles album I’m aware of that had inserts.

Simon and Garfunkel’s Bridge Over Troubled Waters had a poster insert. The Who’s Live at Leeds came with copies of the concert contract. Harry Nilsson’s The Point! had a story book insert. I think a couple of Pink Floyd albums had inserts.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

13. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Any Beatles stuff is collectable ;) BTW.that top poster looks very interesting. :)

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A friend would hang the first one over his bed if his wife would let him. (LOL)

15. kraftblue

Interesting link Kent.

Maybe I will list the top one.

Kath

16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Kath, I would list them both in the same auction.

17. Figtree3

I see that 1978 was also the year that the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring the BeeGees, came out. So the phrase "The Original" on the poster may have been making reference to the fact that the Beatles version was the original.

I'm also seeing that Capitol Records reissued the Beatles' version of Sgt. Peppers as a picture disc that year, probably in conjunction with the movie version coming out.

18. Figtree3

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had forgotten that Sgt. Pepper's insert 100%.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

E J loved inserts ,to name a few... tumbleweed, madman, don't shoot me, and then of course ...Tommy.....& J B 's running on empty !!

It was hard to keep the inserts with the albums at party time........& it was always party time !!

Draft saved Draft deleted