Featured Beautiful brass bird figure...I believe it belongs here...help pls

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Hunter S., Oct 8, 2022.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Hello good people,

I got this beautiful (I believe it to be brass) bird figure...at first some African Gold Weight came to my mind but then I remembered that Gold Weights are not hollow (even that it is a bit hollow - it is really heavy for its size)...

But even if it is not Gold Weight...I believe it belongs here...but where exactly...I have no clue :bored::blackeye::bookworm:

I just LOVE IT!!! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Dimensions: 16 cm (6.3 in) height, 10.5 cm (4.1 in) length, 6 cm (2.4 in) width
    Weight: Around 750 gr (26.5 oz or 1.7 lbs)

Please help, I would really really really love to find out more :shame::shame::shame::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::shame::shame::shame:

Thank you and I hope you love it as well (but I didn't do it justice with the photos)

20221009_003209.jpg 20221009_010031.jpg 20221009_010046.jpg 20221009_010100.jpg 20221009_010130.jpg 20221009_010158.jpg 20221009_010221.jpg 20221009_010240.jpg 20221009_010328.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe Edo-Benin?

pearlsnblume, komokwa and Hunter S. like this.
  3. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

I do not know unfortunately...but I think it was made with lost-wax casting, I forgot to mention that...if that helps

4. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Also, could it be bronze (even everything tells me it is brass :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:)?

5. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

and MOS you definitely pushed me into the right direction...it might be Edo-Benin as their lost-wax castings look really similar...but I am still unsure about that...but I found out about "Ahianmwen-oro" aka "Bird of prophecy" aka "Bird of disaster"...it definitely represents that...and also now...I am scared a bit :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: why the fq is it called a bird of disaster???

Now it seems like it is looking at me ominously :bucktooth::bucktooth::bucktooth:

help

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It may be Dhokra, from West Bengal, India.

Figtree3 and Hunter S. like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s all metal? (Just wondering)

Hunter S. likes this.
  8. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

It might be :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:

10000% sure...it is absolutely solid metal...you could crack someone head pretty easy with it...I guess :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I will try to take some photos outside during day light...I think that will help a lot...I will post them tomorrow :smug::smug::smug:

9. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

You may have answered your own question here!

;););)

komokwa likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted