BEAUTIFUL CARVED WOOD SCULPTURE OF 2 LIONS FIGHTING OVER KILL

Discussion in 'Sell' started by journeymagazine, Aug 21, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this in a storage auction I won. It is unsigned but beautifully carved & detailed!
    Measures 17" T x 13" W and it is heavy!
    [​IMG]AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING 1A_A[/url] by miamibeachcg, on Flickr[/IMG] AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING AA_AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING AB_A resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING 9ac resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING 9AAA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING XXAA resized.jpg

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

All I have to offer is the opinion that I can see WHY it was in a storage locker!;)
    It would require a certain decor/surroundings to appreciate it on an artistic level.
    Just "plunking" this in a room would negate the qualities it has.

On the other hand, I personally would strive to find that decor/those surroundings, as I like the piece.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Hey Journeymagazine, welcome! I always love your posts over on ebay; you always come across the most interesting items.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh, Journeymagazine - are you "new" on this forum? I'm sorry - first for not welcoming you previously, second for critiquing your piece before you are "used" to me. I am sincere about this piece though, I really like it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Is that a piece of Black Forest carving? I'm a cat person, and used to have two kitties who did the same thing. These two are a lot cheaper to feed!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

I don't know anything about it, except I think it was stained - and it is Heavy!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Can you make out the carved letters on the top of the base? Could be something like "Trapped" or ??? Maybe the two larger lions are dancing?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Where do you see letters - what photo? I never noticed any type of signature of description - but I sure would like to find something!

9. springfld.arsenal

3rd from last pic, along edge between claws and tail.

10. journeymagazine

Here are pics of that area - I don't see anything
    Either way - thanks for trying to help
    AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING 8AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE LIONS FIGHTING 8AAA.jpg

11. springfld.arsenal

It makes a big difference which photo you look at, each has unique lighting and angles. I indicated the 3rd from last pic where I see at least 4 upper case letters in a neat row. I agree I don't see much in the other pics you just posted. I see the row of letters but not very clear. The letters in pic I indicated look like TPFD or something similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted