Featured Beautiful Chinese Peking Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by R. Antonis, Nov 16, 2017.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hey everybody!

Here I am again.

This time I have bought myself a very cute small peking glass vase.
    I absolutely don't know anything about chinese antiques etc., but I had the feeling
    this could do more than what I had to pay for.

Plus, I have been searching and found a vase online that looks like it a bit.
    (see link below)

I believe it's partially, or completely handpainted.
    I like it a lot.

Seller said it was a Liuli vase, with QianLong mark/stamp or something like that.

Is there anybody here who knows more about it?

(Height: 11 cm/ 4,33 inch.)
    (Width: 7 cm/ 2,76 inch.)

Thank you very much again!

R. Antonis

IMG-20171115-WA0013.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0006.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0003.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0001.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0000.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0004.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0005.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0007.jpg IMG-20171115-WA0008.jpg

2. R. Antonis

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pretty vase.
    Don't want to sound harsh, but you don't have to know anything about Chinese antiques when it comes to this vase. If you like it and are willing to pay the asking price, that's it. These are still being made.
    Almost all Chinese and Thai items marked Qianlong are not of the period. Most are recently made.
    If you want to buy Chinese antiques, you have to do a lot of homework, and hope you make the right choices.
    Here are some Chinese enameled glass vases, same style as yours:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ch...743270?hash=item5b40a780e6:g:djcAAOSwldRaC4Pd
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Ancie...928153?hash=item4b18effc99:g:wqQAAOSw42dZGs4t
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Ancie...927586?hash=item4b18effa62:g:PRAAAOSwlMFZGtZa

It is not Liuli, that is beautiful modern art crystal:
    https://www.liuliusa.com/

4. R. Antonis

I like them a lot :) thank you very much!

How could you determine it's age and value a bit?

5. Any Jewelry

It is recent. The links show similar ones offered for sale.

6. R. Antonis

Yes okay, but recent... is that 1940? 1980? 2000?

7. Any Jewelry

Could be 2016, especially if the seller tries to pass it off as a Liuli vase.

8. R. Antonis

In the add it was saying 1940. The liuli, I thought it was about it being a small kind of vase.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't see any wear on the base, so I would doubt 1940s. Hard to tell from a photo though.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is there any market more fraught with perils than the Asian markets? I dabbled in it briefly and quickly realized it was way out of my league! But it is a pretty little thing.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

african , comes to mind.......

12. Any Jewelry

More victims in the Asian market, I think.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

An object is worth what someone's willing to pay for it. It's a pretty vase, and with that hand work you couldn't afford to have it done in the US and pay the painter a decent wage. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it's colorful.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I for one , no longer buy into that truism..
    there are just too many variables.

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

The characters on the base state it was made in the year of Qian Long (Qian Long Nian Zhi) --- not! My guess it's it is a fairly new piece...

... and I do agree that a piece is worth (subjectively) whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it --- just don't expect to be able to sell it for the same or higher price, unless the next buyer thinks along the same lines. If, however, a piece is authenticated as a genuine (in this case) Qian Long period piece, the value can be considered more "objective" --- even if we all know that often expertise and authentication are far from good insurance and fail miserably!

Draft saved Draft deleted