Beautiful Ornate Gilded Antique Book seeking ID

Discussion in 'Books' started by Simon Friend, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Simon Friend

Simon Friend New Member

I have no other information about this book, other than the images. If anyone has information, or regognises the painting I would be very greatful.

buffy_gold_spell_book_01.jpg

Ex Libris and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You see the coat of arms on the left? The one with the seven balls? That's of the Medici family and automatically points you toward Florence.

Debora

images.jpg

Any Jewelry and patd8643 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

(The Medici coat of arms is also where the 3-ball symbol for pawnshops comes from.)

Debora

images.jpg

4. Simon Friend

Simon Friend New Member

Thanks, that really helps :)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the center is the coat of arms of the Republic of Florence.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Any Jewelry and patd8643 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The painting is likely to be Dante meeting Beatrice. Here's another version of that subject. And again Florence.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

2manycats likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's another version.

Debora

The-Meeting-of-Dante-and-Beatrice-Lorenzo-Valles-Oil-Painting.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here you go. Dante's House and the Meeting with Beatrice.

Debora

DANTE.jpg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Figure in Red at left Dante Alighieri meeting Beatrice Portinari (his muse)

Title: " Meeting of Dante and Beatrice"

florenze2.jpg

patd8643 likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is a variation of the Alighieri coat of arms, the family to which Dante belonged. The third above, the one on the right, may be meant to represent the poet.

Debora

Stemma_della_Famiglia_Alighieri_(3°_variante).jpg

patd8643 likes this.
  13. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

Don't judge a book by its cover ;)

Do you have any pictures of the title page or the inside?

14. Simon Friend

Simon Friend New Member

Thanks for all the responses, the book is obviously related to Dante. Beatrice was featured in the Divine Comedy and La Vita Nuova, I'm investigating along those routes, nothing found yet.

The only other other image I have is the back.

goldbook1.jpg

15. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Since you don't have the book, where are the pictures from?

Is there any chance for further inquiry with the book holder?

16. Simon Friend

Simon Friend New Member

It was amongst acollection of books that I was offered a number of years ago that I have unfortunateley lost the details of, including the holder. A friend of mine saw the images and has become fascinated with the ornate craftwork of the book, hence the search to try and establish its identity.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The form was inspired by the Renaissance. Here's is a tooled leather-bound book that era.

Debora

images.jpg

18. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure this is a book - there appears to be very little space for pages between the thick covers. La Vita Nuova is the most likely text if it is, since that's Dante's work most involving Beatrice.

If it is a binding, it's not done by a professional binder. It appears to be actual wood boards gessoed or plastered, then painted & gilt. The spine seems to be a strip of leather literally tacked on, which no skilled binder would do, and the decoration, to my eye, looks more Spanish or Spanish Colonial than Italian Renaissance, but in clear imitation of something Florentine.

The binding in Debora's picture has brass edges, which would not be untypical of a high-end renaissance binding. Here are some other bindings with wood covers held by the British Library:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/bookbindings/Results.aspx

Not the easiest website to browse, but I entered the keyword 'wood' in the CoverMaterials space.

I'm afraid the original book/object is a one-off unique item, and you're not going to find anything about it if you can't track down the original offer.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a book either. And I can't imagine a publisher using an advertising image on a cover in that way.

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  20. Simon Friend

Simon Friend New Member

I have come to a similar conclusion

I have discovered that a lot of 'faux books' originating out of Florence as 'safes' or trinket boxes were produced, probably in the 19th Century, which are characterised by Renaissance styling with lots of gilt. I now suspect it could be one of these. vintage-florentine-book-form-box-gold_1_73715d3ba12b8e0f992bfc0e8add1b01.jpg acd05748ae42c48dbcbed5693bf4368e.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted