Featured Beautiful Planter - Can't Identify - Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nicole Johnson, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Nicole Johnson

Nicole Johnson New Member

I found this lovely, unique planter recently at an estate sale. It's about 6 inches tall by the same in length. It's unglazed bisque with cherubs on the front. The handles appear to be griffons to me. It's definitely old, I'm thinking Art Nouveau. The backstamp is proving to be difficult to research. It's marked 8285. There is a 3 point crown and a seal beneath with either a B or a R in script inside the seal. I will upload photos. Origin/possible maker/age would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!! planter - Copy.jpg [ backstamp.jpg

cxgirl, bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, nice piece, afraid I'm no help except to say it is not Art Nouveau. It's a more classical style.

bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

German or Austrian.

cxgirl and bercrystal like this.
  4. Nicole Johnson

Okay thanks! Its someplace to start.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Found this, but I haven't tried to verify the info:
    "This mark is that of Schafer & Vater of Rudolstadt, Thuringia, Germany, founded in in 1890 and survived into quite modern times, being nationalised in 1972 by the Soviet regime."

Any Jewelry, cxgirl, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  6. Nicole Johnson

Sweet!! I will look into this information!! Very helpful!! Btw.. I love the robin avatar! Thanks!

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

8. Nicole Johnson

Oh THANK YOU!!!! How fabulous! I like the brown and cream jasperware on mine better I think. LOL!!! Your hard work is greatly appreciated!!

cxgirl, bluumz, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yours doesn't look like jasperware to me...?

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s not jasperware. That’s made by applying what are called sprigs, made separately, on to a piece. Yours has been moulded as a whole.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think they meant "being nationalised in 1972 by the GDR regime." Thuringia was never part of the USSR, it was in the GDR, communist East Germany. Close friends of the Soviets, but a different country.
    Makes you wonder about the rest of the information.

Poppies, bluumz, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  12. Poppies

Poppies Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted