Featured Beautiful Potpourri Covered Urn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Jan 27, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this beautiful urn? The lid is reticulated so I am assuming it was potpourri? Enamel painting is very vivid and nicely done. Approx. 9" x 8.5"
    Thanks for looking! IMG_1130.JPEG IMG_1133.JPEG IMG_1138.JPEG IMG_1145.JPEG IMG_1144.JPEG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

English, late 19th to early 20thc or so, IMO. Not sure who made this ware but a lot of it was around in my family when I was growing up. I think it might have been produced in Staffordshire.

judy, John Brassey and laura9797 like this.
  3. laura9797

Thank you for this information. I was not sure when I saw the base. At first I thought it was terracotta - it does have some weight to it. I really love the colors!

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If it's black not blue (hard to tell for sure from the photo) you might use the term Jackfield when searching. It's black glazed red-bodied earthenware often with hand painted designs. Associated with Shropshire but made other places also I believe. Some goes back to the 18th C (I have a little collection of the old ones).

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  6. laura9797

cxgirl and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. laura9797

I had no idea of the term Jackfield until I googled it! WOWZA!!!!

cxgirl and say_it_slowly like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

They are beautiful aren't they?

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted