Featured Beautiful Sterl. Silv. Rectangular Snuffbox (B'ham, 1900).

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

On my way into town to meet friends for dinner, I stopped at a local antiques shop. This was for sale in one of the back cabinets for what I considered to be a VERY cheap price...especially after discount! I scoured the shop for anything else worth buying, but this was the only thing which I really figured I was comfortable paying the money on.

After examining it microscopically for defects, and finding none (apart from the rubbed marks on the base), I decided to buy it.

silversnuff01.jpg silversnuff03.jpg silversnuff02.jpg silversnuff04.jpg silveresnuff02.jpg silversnuff05.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, Shangas. Does this meaning you will be taking up the habit of using and presenting snuff?
    [​IMG]

And I am glad to see you Ozzies still use the platypus 20 cents piece, one of the most beautiful coins in the world.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It might be for tobacco, but the the proportions, size and lid configuration are atypical for snuff.

4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It looks like a pin box, it could be used for lots of things though, really pretty.

judy, Tanya, Lecollectionneur and 2 others like this.
  5. Shangas

I don't think it's for pins. It's very small. Tobacco boxes that I've seen are usually much larger, palm-sized containers. This is only about...1 inch by...maybe 3 inches? Four inches at most.

Given its size and the gilding, I'd say it's a snuffbox rather than a tobacco case. I have seen snuffboxes smaller than this, and larger than this. I bought one a year or two ago which was...well let's say it was big. At least twice the size of this. It was absolutely gorgeous...lovely Edwardian silver piece.

And yes, AJ, still using the 20c platypus pieces.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Too small for tobacco, but still an odd shape, and odd lid for snuff.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not too small for a snuff box,I have a wood snuff box which is 1.25 inches wide and 2.25 inches long.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe pastilles.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

10. Any Jewelry

I think Shangas is right about the gilding having something to with whatever was inside. I have seen snuff boxes of that size.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Who do I have to kill to get my mits on that?

judy, komokwa, Shangas and 2 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's English, not Peranakan, so you don't need it.(LOL) It's the sort of thing I'd flip in a heartbeat, so I won't bother to get in between you two, just in case you really do need it....

judy and Shangas like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I don't think Shangas would be interested, but I am a real filigree fan, and this is beautiful filigree.:)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. evelyb30

Bronwyn's is filigree; Shangas' is repoussè. (LOL)

15. Any Jewelry

I know, which is why I replied to Bronwen's, that is the one I want, filigree is my thang.
    While Shangas' box is lovely, I am not too much into 1900 repoussé.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. evelyb30

I'm an equal opportunity silver hoarder/seller. (depending on the day/mood/etc) Big hunks of high karat gold ... straight to hoard. Filigree... might go back on the market. Might....

judy likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Maybe you would like my calling card case :joyful:

SFlgreeCallingCardCase.jpg

Malcolm, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I would, and I do, it is beautiful.:happy:

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  19. Shangas

Honestly! I leave this thread to get a bit of shut-eye and what do I see when I come back!?

Thanks for all the responses everybody, but yes, it is a snuffbox. I asked one of the dealers at the shop and he said with the gilding in it, that's likely what it would be. I've seen snuffboxes of all sizes, from smaller than this, to much, MUCH bigger.

Of course, you can use it for whatever you want, but the original contents would've been snuff.

That toothpick box and card-case are adorable, but polishing that filigree would give me a conniption fit!!

20. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

It's a very simple way to know if something contains or not snuff powder, use a spoon of semolina, put in it close it and shake, the snuff box is hermetic with flour when of great quality, normally I use that when I make a repair to control the adjustment of the lid.

judy and Tanya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted