Featured Beautiful Vanity! 1940's?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sassy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

vanity 1.JPG vanity 2 smaller.JPG vanity detail.JPG vanity sticker - sticker.JPG vanity drawer - smaller.JPG I fell in love with this vanity and had to have it. Bought it at an auction.

I'm guessing 1940's but I truly don't have an idea.

Isn't she a beaut! vanity 2 smaller.JPG vanity 1.JPG vanity detail.JPG vanity sticker - sticker.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I would actually date it about 20 years earlier - 1920's. But it is possible that it was a bit later - it looks like 1920's MishMash Revival with the buddings of 1930s Art Deco - what I would call "in a local vernacular"................but that's ME - see what those who know say!!

3. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

That would be neat! I think it is in very good condition if it was from the 1920's!

I just had to have it, I'm in love. I considered painting it because it really doesn't go with my decor but I can't bring myself to do it lol.

judy, SBSVC, KingofThings and 3 others like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Sassy, I can see why you are "in love" with it.

I really like the vanity . . . but I dearly love the mirror (including the carved half-frame for the mirror). ;)

Just curious but . . . I am wondering why that top drawer on the left in the photo is a different color (not yellow). It looks like it is a wood finish like the rest of the unpainted surfaces.

judy, Sassy, KingofThings and 2 others like this.
  5. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

I wonder that myself! The other drawer on the top also has a different colour than the rest of the wood, but not as pronounced as the darker drawer. It looks identical to the other drawers when you look up close, just a different colour.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The top drawer on the right may have been exposed to more sun.

The other 4 drawers don't look quite right.
    Are the 4 drawers actually wood?
    Looks like contact paper, see the ripples - or is the veneer starting to peel?
    upload_2017-9-10_21-18-36.png

The knobs look like they have been replaced in the 1970s. They look good on it, but may not be original.

Oh and I was thinking 1930s.

Sassy, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I think Currahee is still in business. You might email them and ask.
    Patd

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

The addressee on the label, Abe Mann, was listed as the Selling Agent for Currahee Furniture in the 1937-38 American Jewish Times. Mann was shown as Selling Agent for several other furniture manufacturers, as well, (until at least 1945) operating from a showroom/sales location, The American Furniture Mart, at 206 Lexington Ave in NYC.

https://archive.org/details/americanjewishti160unse

Currahee Furniture itself was started in 1925 in Toccoa, GA:

from The Iron Age, Volume 116, David Williams, 1925:
    The Currahee Furniture Co has begun the erection of a new plant, 60 x 640(?) (illegible) feet, for the manufacture of furniture specialties, and will install machinery to give employment to about 100. George D. Trogdon is manager.

https://books.google.com/books?id=r05LAQAAIAAJ&q="currahee+furniture"+"toccoa+ga"&dq="currahee+furniture"+"toccoa+ga"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpmbKSnpzWAhUJxCYKHabiCG4Q6AEINTAD

Currahee Furniture was sold in 1953:

LULLABYE BUYS CURRAHEE; Georgia Plant to Be Converted to Juvenile Furniture Lines
    SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES - APRIL 11, 1953
    http://www.nytimes.com/1953/04/11/a...eorgia-plant-to-be-converted-to-juvenile.html

The plant continued to operate in Toccoa, but it was no longer called Currahee, and it employed many fewer people.

Lullabye in turn was sold in 1968:
    Sale of the Lullabye Furniture Corp., which employs about 200 persons at Stevens Point and another 50 at a plant in Toccoa, Ga., to the Simmons Co. of New York City in an outright cash deal was announced recently in a joint statement by the two firms. ' Simmons said that Lullabye. a manufacturer of juvenile furniture, would continue operations with substantially the same personnel.
    Janesville Daily Gazette,
    Janesville, Wisconsin · Page 10
    January 4, 1968

The Currahee Furniture Co that Patd mentions above is a different entity.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

20s or so seems about right. Agree that the knobs are replaced.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I like it as well.

And I really love the photo of the tree on the mirror.

Like a painting!

Sassy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Wow I keep being blown away by how much information you guys are able to provide!! Thank you so much!

I've unfortunately come to the conclusion that this vanity is NOT going to fit in my rather small makeup room :( Therefore I am going to be selling it.

It does look like the veneer is warping on some of the drawers so it may end up being a repainting project. I'm really not sure what to do with it, it's such a lovely piece I'm afraid of screwing it up so it will probably sit for a good long while before I'm brave enough to tackle it.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, this happens a lot more than people think, fall in lust with some furniture form only to discover when you get it home it's not gonna happen in space provided. This is why it's always a good idea to carry a small pocket tape measure with you, ditto a pocket LED light as well, i never leave home without them! when going to look at furniture.
    If you just bought the piece, I'd let it be for awhile as well, sometimes solutions present themselves more clearly later.

Sassy and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted