Bed dolls

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JF12, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JF12

JF12 New Member

20A06375-1C72-402F-92CB-2DC81DE07E95.jpeg

Does someone know anything about these dolls? My grandma and her sisters received them as Christmas presents in the early 1950s.

NewEngland likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Not sure what your question is ? They were a "thing" from like the 20s-50s ,my dear grandmother had one on her bed till she died in 2005 . She used to crochet different dresses for it . Just a decorative thing.

pearlsnblume, NewEngland and judy like this.
  3. JF12

JF12 New Member

I guess I should’ve put in there if anyone knew what company may have made these.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure as to your date? Those look a tad earlier.

Debora

pearlsnblume, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. JF12

JF12 New Member

I am sure that is when they got them. They could have been used though when they received them. My grandma doesn’t have hers anymore and I wanted to see if anyone knew more about it so maybe I could look up a photo of it or tell her about where it came from.

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have no idea of their desirability at the moment, but a few years back, they brought decent money. Many different styles were made, some holding a cigarette...............I can't recall any one company producing them, but I do remember having a nice one that was made in France, that I sold quite a long time ago. I forget the price, but perhaps around $200 or so.

I'm trying to remember what other criteria was important to collectors......the shoes I think. How the hair was styled. Hair rolled in flat rounds around the ears were desired.

Hopefully @Christmasjoy and @sassafras can tell you more.

Also many of them suffered severe crazing which brought down the value of the doll, but if the clothes were decent, they still sold.

Up to the 1950's for popularity, but I think the 30's/40's is more their era. They were never expensive, but some were made better and probably cost a bit more.

Draft saved Draft deleted