Before i buy it. How old is this mirror? 19th or 20th century. Is it English?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chantaljones, May 13, 2019.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

Can somebody please help. I can buy this from a friend/hobby dealer, but he couldn't tell me not much about it. He send me these pics today. It looks old to me and its highly decorated. Doesnt look like it is carved wood but plaster or gesso? Can somebody please tell me how old this mirror could be. It's around 5ft wide.
    Thank you

20190512_095912.jpg 20190512_131721.jpg 20190512_095925.jpg 20190512_131738.jpg 20190512_095923.jpg 20190512_131811.jpg 20190512_131838.jpg 20190512_131832.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice mirror....to bad your friend thinks rubbing it all over that concrete is a good idea.... he obviously has no concern for it's well being..

3. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

Yes that what I thought! It's not a way to present a piece, especially if you are asking a four figure price tag

4. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even very carefully ‘placing’ and item down onto a rough, hard surface can cause damage, especially when they’re fragile and heavy.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Impressive frame, you could have your own Versailles with that.
    No bevelled edges on the mirrors, it looks 1950s-60s Italian to me, but @Ghopper1924 may correct me on that.:)
    I agree with the others about the frame on the concrete.:banghead: You should get an extra discount for that, even if there is no damage.;)

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Might be older. Those wide radius saw marks seen on the backing would not have been made here in the US much in to the 20th century. Who knows how long such equipment was used in other countries. the lack of beveled glass and the nails used do indicate a lack of any true age. A bit of a riddle from my point of view. I do think a 20th century import.

7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Personally I would not pay a 4 figure price for it. I'd have trouble going above 3 figures, unless I REALLY REALLY liked it. Just my humble opinion.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is the mirror close enough to you so that you could go and inspect it? The frame could have been damaged by the concrete, or even damaged before the concrete. In the fourth photo there is an odd-looking area in the center of the bottom of the frame. There could also be scratches or chips along the edge that would not show up in the photos that were taken.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Missed the part about a 4 figure price tag :eek: With the damage (cracking and gesso loss), I would be hard pressed to see this bringing even a couple hundred here in my Midwest market.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Love the frame. Will love it even if slightly damaged.

But not to four figures.

11. Any Jewelry

Missed that too.:jawdrop: Never in four figure years!

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not pay much above eighty quid and that would be pushing it. The glass is of no age.

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Mirrors can be tricky. A lot of thick NONBEVELED mirrors are older then you think. I used to take an pen or such and touch the mirror. The further away from the item and reflection was a good test as to age. The further away between the items the thicker and older mirror.
    greg

14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It has circular saw cut on the back, modern original finish nails, and each of the backing boards is less than a foot wide, so probably late-19th century at the very earliest. It has modern 20th century glass, so if it is a 19th century mirror (which I doubt), then it has replaced 20th century glass. I would guess it to be early to mid 20th century with original glass as others have suggested. I think it is overpriced.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. the umpteenth rococo revival. from the wood probably Italy. hard to give an age - between 1880s and 1950s.

Ghopper1924, chantaljones and judy like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have you or your friend looked over that framing VERY CAREFULLY.....there seems to be a missing/broken off piece or two......I'm sure fixable, but more $$.....and there already seems to be a lot of stress cracks in it........

X220190512_131738-edit.jpg

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

JMHO, not a risk I'd be willing to take, in looking again at other images again....the top also looks QUITE stressed......you just don't know when it's going to crumble some more!!!!!

X220190512_095923-edit.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. Any Jewelry

Oops! The curl just left of the shell is missing, and two pieces of the bottom of shell.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and I see even more cracks........
    at $$$$.......he's more dealer than friend ! IMO..

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, the middle part of the bottom was what I meant when I said it looks odd. Wow...

Draft saved Draft deleted