Featured Before I overpay again!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Archey, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Archey

Archey Member

I'm looking at this table. I really like it, but I want to get an accurate idea of value before I make an offer on it. See, I'm learning!

[​IMG]

1. [​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its gorgeous! Im wondering if its a very good reproduction,or has been refinished? Id buy it!

Joshua Brown, KingofThings and Archey like this.
  3. Archey

Archey Member

Agreed. It seems to be in almost too good of shape, doesn't it? I just wonder what a fair offer to make on it would be?

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  4. johnnycb09

It all depends on how much you want it and how much your willing to spend. Personally,I could see going $200-300,but only if I wasnt going to resell it.Start low and see how it goes.

5. Archey

Archey Member

I'd have to pay freight shipping too. Maybe I should pass. I do really like the figure of the wood though...

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  6. johnnycb09

The wood is fantastic,how expensive is shipping? Ive heard people use Greyhound to ship stuff,might be worth looking in to. I wish Brad would pop in,hes so much better at furniture than I am.

7. Archey

Archey Member

I'm not sure. I haven't gotten that far down the rabbit hole yet. Any time I hear the word "freight" I know it's going to be pricey.

Joshua Brown, KingofThings and judy like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lovely grain.
    I agree with Johnny, looks to have been refinished or made as a repro.
    Might be 1970s, might be 1940s. Hard to tell from the pictures. I don't think it is earlier, but I could very well be wrong.

@verybrad

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hardware doesn't look all that old, at least from here. There aren't any age marks on the back where the birdcage connects, and on an old piece there would be. Nice looking however; I'd cheerfully give that house room.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tip tilt mechanism, based on early English stuff. Remind me to clear my dining table and get a decent photo of its bottom sometime. ;)

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There ought to be some dings and dents where the birdcage whacks into the table top. I'm no expert on furniture, but the old stuff always picks up some sort of signs it's been there done that.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think it is nice quality modern. May even be Indonesian. I don't think I would pay more than $150.00 for it and, then, if only for myself.

13. Archey

Archey Member

I offered the guy $200 as a start for negotiation (ebay best offer excepted). This was his reply.
    "Forget about me packing this for you . Full price pickup only no exceptions."

His asking price is $850 plus you have to provide shipping yourself! With the attitude he displayed in his message I wouldn't take the damn table if he gave it to me at this point.

14. Archey

Archey Member

Btw thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate you all helping me!

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd shove it up his a--.....for an extra $50..............:eek:

16. Archey

Archey Member

He really took offense. I figured I would start with a low offer than he would counter and we'd meet somewhere in the middle. Instead he went full on Soup Nazi on me.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that doesn't always work with BO's......specially when so far apart..or....the seller has no sense of humor.......or business !

18. Archey

Archey Member

What I don't get is why doesn't the person set the listing to automatically reject offers under a certain amount? Maybe they just enjoy getting butt hurt about low offers. Oh well.

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Frankly, you got what you deserved. His asking price was $850. I wouldn't have even bothered to answer you.
    You offered $200, that offer was an insult.

We all may agree that what you were offering is what the table may actually be worth. But to him he thinks it's worth more.

Joshua Brown, KingofThings and judy like this.
  20. Archey

Archey Member

He was asking way too much. I made a reasonable offer. To quote Clint Eastwood "Deserves ain't got nothing to do with it."

Draft saved Draft deleted