Featured Before I sell this cheap ... machine made or handmade lace.. and does the pattern have a name?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by evelyb30, May 9, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm a quilter, not a vintage textiles dealer. I'm 90% sure this is machine made, but just in case... better ask first. It's been sitting in my house for years. The card it's on may be original and may not, but I doubt it means much since the label is all but scratched away. No idea if it's 1920 or 1960 either, although if feels earlier rather than later to me. I tried for a better shot. but will need pins and a board to get the lace to behave. DSCF4026.JPG DSCF4024.JPG DSCF4027.JPG

We just had a lace junkie pop up on the board ... sooo @Northern Lights Lodge ? Live or Memorex?

johnnycb09, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

LOL... Lace Junkie! I think that is the first time I've been called that! I expect that "fits"! :)
    I would say it is "earlier' rather than later; but yes, machine made lace. I "would" like to see a flatter photo of it if possible. But, only for my own interest... The card looks interesting...damaged?

Leslie

Figtree3, kyratango and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

Pretty well thrashed. I'll have a go at it tomorrow if I have a minute during the Mother's Day festivities. Such as they'll be.

4. Northern Lights Lodge

No worries! Enjoy your day! Leslie

5. evelyb30

My sister is here planting stuff with my niece. Mom's cooking latkes. My "child", all 8 pounds and gray fur of her, is hiding in the basement. (she saw my niece's little dog and freaked) So...I took pictures. The card is a bent-up mess that seems to have stained the lace; acid in paper products will do that eventually.
    DSCF4157bitty.jpg DSCF4158.JPG

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Thanks for the additional pics! Sounds like you are having a busy Mother's Day! No, I can't say that the lace has a name - persay. It has no clear elements which would place it in one category or another. Yes, the acid does discolor such things - too bad the label is trashed....looks like almost on purpose. I see that it does give an old phone number...just for the record France had 10,000 phone subscribers by 1890! The lace is a pleasant pattern; and but, by the pattern, I would hazard a guess that it is circa 1920-30.

Leslie

7. evelyb30

Thanks. That's about what I was thinking. I've seen similar on old lingerie from the period. (the stuff that survives because no one could stand wearing it.)

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted