Featured Belgian Pocket Watch Case and Glass Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The stones in your brooch all look like glass. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the central one looks somewhat like older beads I have that were either made in Bohemia before it was part of Czechoslovakia or Czech if after.

I'm not an expert on pin backs, but think the one on yours may indicate it's from the early 1900s since it looks like there isn't a safety catch and the pin doesn't extend much beyond the catch

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

The center stone has a purplish sheen to it when the light hits it; I was wondering if it might be foiled dragon's breath?

It's difficult to see in that picture, but it has a safety clasp.

Edit: I don't think the stone is foiled. I managed to shine my loupe between the gap, and the cabochon has a smooth glassy back. So maybe the foil is on the inside of the cabochon.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I looked again at the brooch enlarged and this time noticed the black beads have foil, too. I've had similar Czech beads with metallic foil over a black base, encased in clear glass. My beads were late 20th century, but the same processes have been used tp make beads for a long time.

The center bead does look like foil under clear glass, too, and I think it probably is Czech.

I'm not sure about the clasp... my gut says early 20th century, but I don't know enough to be sure. Others will probably pop up who know more than I do.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

was my first reaction as well. Gablonzer Strass. but on second thoughts I think Italian could be a possibility as well; string-glass with amber outside and blue inner core perhaps ? what are the eyes and hooks for ?

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, they could be Venetian glass as well.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, but the brooch looks like it has multiple problems. I think it is missing two bead settings. From the back it looks like the “arms” were there and broken off.

The bead at 3:00 is missing its brass cap.

The photo of the clasp is not clear enough to see, is it a roll over clasp? Is it missing the roll over part?

The hinge looks fairly modern to me, I agree, 20th century, my humble guess would be 1960s or later.

With the problems I am afraid it is something that I would put into a harvest lot :(:(:(

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Good catch... it does look like there were beads previously where the gaps are in the perimeter.

Draft saved Draft deleted