Featured Bell Trading Post?, Taxco and Possible Southwestern Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 10, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The Discovery Shop I go to, had a disappointing jewelry sale for a variety of reasons. I did get a few pieces, but I have questions as always, so I thought I would put the items I bought into two posts based on source in this one, and a general group in the other. The first group has the one exciting piece that I got, a simple Taxco bracelet with a very interesting look that is slightly damaged. These three pieces, I think come from the same general locale, so I thought they may of interest to Southwestern jewelry collectors.

I appreciate any comments on anything.

1. Taxco Coral Bracelet.

IMG_9478.JPG IMG_9474.JPG

2. I bought this pendant because I found interesting. My question is does this look a Bell Trading Post Mark? That would give a time. (The chain is unrelated.)

IMG_9479 (1).JPG IMG_9480 (1).JPG IMG_9481.JPG

3. This ring seems to have a Southwestern feel but is only marked sterling. It fits great! Any ideas?

IMG_9483 (1).JPG IMG_9488 (1).JPG IMG_9492 (1).JPG

Figtree3, IvaPan, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

#2 is a Bell Trading post mark.... https://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSB.html

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. The ring wants to be NA, but could just as easily be Deadhead silversmith work. The bracelet is post-1978. The stone doesn't look like coral to me.

4. KikoBlueEyes

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Not coral? I have to look harder then. I hadn't heard about deadhead silversmiths. I'll have to look those up! Thank you very much!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

There has been thousands of hobbyist silversmiths using Lapidary Journal,Gems and Mineral and other publications for information.

reader, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Your ring I would have called Zuni in style. I had three rings my mother had picked up in Arizona with turquoise colored stones all identical except for the color of the stone. All marked sterling and had a ( if memory serves me) marked with letter TM . I became suspicious because there were three settings exactly alike and all three untarnished. They had the three balls like yours only the stones were oval. When i did a lens search many of them came up so I concluded not native American.

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Maybe jasper?
    Zuni rings typically have a single shank, and often use a type of inlay.
    Split shanks are used by the Navajo, as are single stones, but both are used by many others as well.
    The ring is my favourite of the lot. The style is like Navajo Modernist Jewellery, but it looks later.

Lark, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Semi-pro silver workers. It's a term used for people who traveled around with the Grateful Dead and supported themselves by making and selling jewelery. The ring cold have been made by someone else most likely not Native American. The red stone could be out to fool me, but it just doesn't look like coral.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I realize the design isn't anything special. I did think the stone was nice. I appreciate your thoughts.

12. KikoBlueEyes

I'm going to wear it with a turquoise necklace and unrelated turquoise bracelet I have. None of which are Native American, until I find something that is a better look. I did a search but nothing came up like this one. I did find one marked Bisbee with the same surround but I've seen it before. Thank you.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. I'll look up red jasper and see if I can figure out the stone.

Good to know about the shanks of the rings. It will help me with mystery stamp identifications.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks Pearls.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I thought that was what you meant by Deadheads, but I wasn't sure. I didn't realize that there were itinerant jewelry makers who travelled with them. Thank you.

16. Hollyblue

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

All three are beautiful, and I especially like the ring. Congratulations on the finds!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. It was their jewelry sale. They overlook NA and southwest stuff.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Great finds. You must have had fun at the sale.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted