Berkey & Gay 1929-1948 Sideboard & Dining Set

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by notverybrad, Mar 27, 2019.

1. notverybrad

notverybrad New Member

chair old upholstery.jpeg chair new upholstery.jpeg Logo.jpeg sideboard.jpeg table legs close up.jpeg table legs.jpeg First post,

just was curious if there is a better way to know a more accurate date of manufacture.

I picked these up at an estate sale and am considering doing self restoration or a professional restoration.

Was interested in some opinions on which to choose. I like items to remain in their most authentic form and repairs to be done accurate to the period.

Further questions

Is this the original upholstery underneath?

Is it worth having repaired for the value of the price or replacing with something similar?

What style is this?

What kind of wood is this?

Last picture is of dining table legs.

Thanks,

Notverybrad

EDIT: The greenish blue upholstery was under the white upholstery.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-3-27_14-42-0.jpeg

pls go back to your post....select EDIT...& FULL IMAGE...

3. notverybrad

notverybrad New Member

Is it corrected? I’m on mobile

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, they are! :)

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey Notverybrad:

What kind of restoration are you considering? From the photos, things look pretty good. Really nice veneer figuring on the buffet. Don't know what the tops look like, but I'd just wax n' feed the pieces, perhaps keeping some scratch cover handy as well. I stay away from Pledge and the like because over time they'll artificially darken the surface.

Looks like Duncan Phyfe Neo-Classical revival style ca. 1940, mahogany. Very common for dining rooms in the 1930s-50s. Often there would be some Jacobethan Revival elements thrown in.

The top quilt pattern upholstery could very well be original.

The manufacturers, Berkey & Gay, were a very well-respected company from Grand Rapids, Michigan that started in the 19th century and lasted well into the 20th. Their building in Grand Rapids still exists and is being adapted for residential use. At one time they were the most prolific manufacturers of furniture in the U.S. Most of their stuff from the 20th century is signed like yours; I've got alot of Berkey & Gay from Victorian times. Although clearly machine-made, their furniture often had some hand-done finishing flourishes. However it was made, they manufactured quintessential Renaissance Revival bedroom sets, tables, and seating. Absolutely gorgeous, at least to a Victorian furniture guy like me.

The sad part is that brown furniture is still in the dumper, market-wise, and your set is not worth much monetarily, as pretty as it is. Don't know what kind of repairs you've got in mind, but I wouldn't spend much unless you love the set and are planning on keeping it. As things stand now, you're unlikely to recover your investment.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add any more than Ghopper has provided. Great analysis!

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted