Featured Berkey & Gay

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Zook, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Zook

Zook New Member

Hello. My name is Sam and I am looking for info on a 9 piece bedroom set that my parents bought from a private party in the late 50's. The furniture was probably made sometime in the 30's or 40's according to the type of Berkey & Gay stamp that they have. I'm looking for a buyer but not sure the best way to go about it. I need to determine what they are worth. The pieces are in nice shape. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very nice. Value is really dependent on where and how you plan to sell. Here in my semi-rural Midwest area, we would be very lucky to get even $1000.00 for the set at retail. I could see this going for triple that in a big East coast city. At auction or other wholesale selling situations, it would be significantly less. If in or near a large city, listing on facebook marketplace, craigslist, or ebay might get you near a retail value. If in Timbuktu, good luck!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1/2 way between LA and San Diego..........

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sam.
    Murrieta must be a lot safer than Timbuktu, and I am sure it is a better market for this kind of furniture.;)

Aquitaine, i need help and judy like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Sam!

Welcome to Antiquers...........

Lovely set. Wishing you a great sale.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry to say, but I'm completely shocked. :inpain: what style would that be ? for the demi-lune console in Louis XVI style - and probably for the rest as well - the French would erect the guillotine...
    that would be ideal for making white-washed shabby chic vintage for a student den.

antidiem likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is American depression era furniture that incorporates traditional elements to create something new. Also sometimes called traditional revival since it does not replicate any historical style. Berkey and Gay is very good quality furniture that commands a premium in some areas. It would not in my area but certainly out East in the metro areas. Not sure how the CA market would see it.

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

This is one of those problems which makes me so sad. Never will it get what it is worth absent some extraordinary circumstance!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thanks a lot. the only word that makes sense to me is depression. :hilarious:

and to OT: not meant to be nasty. simply don't know all these American styles.:)

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The decoration and condition takes these up a notch. Usually you see this stuff in plain wood and it isnt worth much . Id try online sales and see what nibbles you get. I think Brad hit it right on the head for value,IF your lucky. Here in N. Fl you might get that,but its doubtful sadly.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Zook and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! GREAT job on taking GREAT pictures, and a BEAUTIFUL looking set!!!! AS well as unusual!!!! I also think @verybrad hit it very well in evaluating your set!! Best thing you can do is list it, start firm with your prices, then lower if you have to......you'll soon find 'where' the selling price is! I wish you all the luck!! As I said, it's really VERY NICE and looks to be in great condition!!

antidiem and silverthwait like this.
  12. Zook

Zook New Member

Thank you all for your input! I'm going to clean them up a little and take better pictures. Then I'll put feelers out there and see what kind of response I get. Keep the reply's coming! This has been great learning experience. Fun Forum!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted