Beswick "Venetian" potter jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SBSVC, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I happen to love pitchers & creamers and the like, and I recently bought a Beswick “Venetian” jug on eBay for $9.99 - a total that was less than what it cost the poor seller to ship the darned thing.

It’s 8 ½” tall and marked “780”, with both an impressed MADE IN ENGLAND and black Beswick Ware and MADE IN ENGLAND marks.

Here is the one I purchased:
    DSC05982.JPG DSC05980.JPG
    I am familiar with the Beswick animal & Beatrix Potter figurines, but I’ve never had any other Beswick items, so I’m just a bit curious about what I purchased.

The one shown here:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-beswick-venetian-jug-designed-245428205
    is described as designed by Mr Symcox… with the Beswick printed mark dating between 1940 / 1954.

The coloring on this Worthpoint example is far lighter, less muddy, and less defined than that on the one I bought.

p.32 from this site: https://issuu.com/francisjoseph/docs/beswick_2014_price_guide
    indicates that model 780 was designed in 1939.

I’m just wondering if anyone else knows any more than what I’ve found about my new “jug”. I guess I’m most curious about confirming the approximate age (c.1940?) and understanding the coloration differences.

Thanks very much!

-C-

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its a nice jug, 20-30 years ago in the UK they fetched good money, Beswick is still a good name.
    Pronounced with a silent "W"
    I don`t see much of it these days.
    I`m sure more pottery people will give you an answer soon.

SBSVC likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I bought two little Beswick animals recently - a koala and a kitten. They probably wouldn't sell for much, but I only paid about US$0.25 each so I'm not even out a cup of Mickey D's coffee if they don't. Most pottery isn't bringing what it did these days.

SBSVC likes this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Davey and Evelyb. I appreciate your replies.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Beswick still sells well if it's an animal with an unusual colour. Not 1940s, this, pottery factories were making war related stuff. I'd think early 50s from the colour.

SBSVC likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ruth, put some photos up of the animals if you would. You might be surprised.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I love it.....very pretty....love the colors!!!!

SBSVC likes this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input, Owned & Aquitaine - much appreciated!

9. Ownedbybear

One more thing. The design is a copy of classic sgraffito Italian pottery from the 50s onwards. Hence Venetian, I guess. ;)

SBSVC likes this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Owned!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I generally don't get that lucky, but I'll post them in my own thread later.

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, I found something on Google Books UK that may add to the possible dating of my jug. I'm back to thinking it may indeed be early 1940's. I know that in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

from Google Books UK: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ip7vCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT36&lpg=PT36&dq=beswick+venetian+pottery+-ebay&source=bl&ots=dVKmcwl4ss&sig=4hi3SbRqoeKM-jzgSE6JPtskY2A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_1sLc4ZzRAhWJzIMKHXESDvIQ6AEIOzAI#v=onepage&q=beswick%20venetian%20pottery%20-ebay&f=false

from: Beswick Pottery, by Val Baynton, Bloomsbury Publishing,Jul 20, 2012 (2012, Great Britain, by Shire Publications Ltd, Midland House, West Way, Botley, Oxford OX2 0PH, UK)

from section: ANIMALS COME OF AGE 1940-1969

Prospects seemed good at the beginning of 1939: the factory expansion and redevelopment programme, creating a more efficient production flow, was almost finished; a good creative team of designer, modeller, and mould-maker was in place; products were selling well; but then war was declared.

The industry generally, and Beswick specifically, saw that the war provided opportunities to gain overseas markets – by manufacturing ceramics that were previously made in Germany, Italy or Czechoslovakia. Two new sgrafitto series, Venetian and Florentine, were rapidly designed and launched. Florentine, with a bird, was initially sold through Hardy’s, and Venetian, with flowers, had a Beswick backstamp. Both designs were available in several colours, including green, blue and red, as well as plain white.

… Indeed, by 1942, (The PGGTR noted) 80 percent of output was exported to Australia, South Africa, Canada, South America and New Zealand.

For the domestic market, however, strict rules and rationing were enforced. In 1942 Beswick was licensed to make undecorated earthenware and these utility wares were marked with a letter A. All manufacturers permitted to continue making pottery (and many were not) were catagorised as Group I, II or III, depending on the maximum price each charged for its wares. Group III makers included Beswick and industry stalwarts such as Moorcroft, Royal Doulton and Josiah Wedgwood.

… The war years were prolific in terms of design, with nearly 280 shapes being added between September 1939 and June 1945…

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Being hand colored, there will be a lot of variation from one piece to the next, maybe even entirely different palettes.

I would not have pegged this for Beswick.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    SBSVC likes this.
  14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

MOS, thanks for your input.

I have a feeling the "Venetian" design may have been a bit of an anomaly - possibly having something to do with the "war years" info I found on Google Books today (i.e. perhaps trying to "replace" the Italian & other pottery NOT being made during that time.)

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Pronounced with a silent "W"

Davey, I meant to mention that I didn't know that! I can't tell you how many times I've heard dealers here in the US say BES-WICK!

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here are some of the animals I've had:

Kitten 3" tall (different color combinations)
    BeswickCatKittenBrownFigurine-a.jpg

Mouse 2 5/8" tall
    BeswickMouseFigurinePinkEars-b.jpg

Bullfinch 2 1/2" tall
    BeswickBullfinchMinaitureBoneChinaFigurine-a.jpg

Siamese cats 3"tall
    BeswickSiameseDoubleCatFigurine-a.jpg

Poodle 3 3/4" tall (I've had these in black and in white.)
    BeswickBlackStandingPoodleSmall-b.jpg

Alsatian 5 3/4" tall
    BeswickDogFigurineAlsatianGermanShepherdUlricaBrittas-a.jpg

Dachshund 4 1/4" long (different color combinations)
    BeswickDogFigurineDachshund2ToneBlackBrownUnmarked-a.jpg

White squirrel 7 1/4" tall
    BeswickEnglandLargeWhiteSquirrel-a.jpg

Bulldog & Stand (Ch*Basford British Mascot*) 5 1/4" tall (really disappointed in what this sold for)
    BeswickBulldogBasfordBritishMascot-b.jpg

Figtree3 and SBSVC like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Too cute, MOS! I like them all!

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They also made miniature whiskey bottles for Beneagles (at least)

Otter
    BeswickBeneaglesOtterMiniatureWhiskeyBottle-b.jpg

Eagle
    BenEagleWhiskeyMiniatureBottleSeaEagleJGJonque1969BeswickEngland-empty-a.jpg

Haggis
    BeswickBeneaglesOtterMiniatureWhiskeyBottle-e.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted