Featured Beyond Alexandrite Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bronwen, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They did turn various milky shades, although the amber cabochon in an Egyptian brooch does not go milky. It is so dark, with so many inclusions or internal fractures, it requires strong light behind it to see it as anything but a shiny, not quite black stone. I'm not an amber expert, but it is light enough in weight for amber, is quite different from the cabochon that is faux in another Egyptian piece, and why in the world wouldn't you make it prettier if you were making fakes?

Tried to get photos, but not enough hands/stands. Since ruby is a color, not a mineral, could think of pink stones as anemic rubies rather than as fancy sapphires. If not all rubies fluoresce, answer may just be that the replacement is one that does not while other three do. (Boy do they!)

Cowrie reg.jpg Cowrie UV.jpg

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I'm imagining @Bronwen sitting in the dark, checking out her magnificent hoard with her new toy :)

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Aha! You have found the ways.:blackalien::D:hilarious:

kyratango, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

And I know the feeling well. I even try it out at my desk, holding the item under the desk top so it is in the dark (cubby hole desk).

5. Bronwen

Walking around in the night with her little flashlight. There are goodies all over the place.

6. Any Jewelry

[​IMG]

7. Bronwen

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: How did you know I was wearing a nightgown?!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

You can't hide things like that from UV light.:playful:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

You see right through me, don't you?

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It's the mask.;)
    And UV.

11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Mine all turned milky blueish, which was a relief, except for the very dark one. The lines carved into it, though, were purple milky, so I'm guessing it is amber also but too dark for the light to get through it.

12. Any Jewelry

Sounds good, Kiko.

kyratango, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Bronwen

Last night I did a little more playing around & pulled out a small case of jewellery I had not examined with the UV light yet. Most things just went purple. Noticed the little diamond in my mother's engagement ring stayed fairly white looking. But then suddenly there was this little bright baby blue stone in the center of my step-grandmother's engagement ring. My initial reaction was that my grandfather must have been scammed, that the stone is not a diamond. Who knew some diamonds fluoresce, due to boron content.? OK, I know a few of you did. But it was news to me. Somewhere I have an appraisal for it. I don't recall it saying anything about fluorescence. Will have to find it to get an idea of whether the fluorescence is desirable or not. Seems it depends on the stone's 4 Cs & the opinion of the particular jeweller.

14. KikoBlueEyes

@scoutshouse was right! Playing with your magnificent hoard again are you?

15. Bronwen

Biting my tongue not to type the first reply that came to mind. You can't laugh when you're biting your tongue, or I would be. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Will probably have a go at getting a photo, but it's hard to juggle light & camera with only my 2 shaky hands.

16. KikoBlueEyes

Now what was it you wanted to say. We're all friends here.

17. Bronwen

We're all friends, but I'm trying to be a lady here.

18. Bronwen

Remind me never to try to make a living as a diamond photographer. Took a stab at capturing the effect of the UV light on the one diamond. My eyes see a glowing light blue (about the shade used for the background of the box around posting member's name), while the camera sees it this way:

Diamond fluoresce 1.jpg Diamond fluoresce 2.jpg Diamond fluoresce 3.jpg

Third photo has been edited to bring out the blue halo. The camera did show me that a couple of the tiny diamonds on one shoulder also fluoresce.

[This message was not paid for by the manufacturers of UV flashlights.]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    kyratango and judy like this.
  19. Bronwen

I've been creeping around with my little UV flashlight again. Never realized. By a window:

Paperweight 1A.jpg Paperweight 2A.jpg

In the dim front hall with the flashlight shining on it:
    Paperweight 3A.jpg

With no additional light other than the little coming in from the living room windows:
    Paperweight 4B.jpg

Never noticed because the luminescence fades gradually along with the sun. But of course it also absorbs sunlight & radiates it back. Never had reason to take it directly from the sunny window to a dark place.

Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Magic, isn't it. And it keeps you off the streets.;)
    The people across the road from you are now wondering about that eerie glow emanating from your window......:blackalien:

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted