Featured Big Bertha shells

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by kristiaan, Jan 16, 2020.

1. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

hello,
    I am wondering what actual market prices of these items would be.
    I struggled whole week to find it out but didn't manage.
    Contacts I wrote to, didn't answer or didn't provide a concrete answer.
    Anyone here who could help me out, please?

[​IMG]

All I found was these recently sold in auction's in the UK;

[​IMG]

A VERY RARE GERMAN 42cm GERAT L/12 DICKE BERTHA (BIG BERTHA) HOWITZER BRASS SHELL CASE.
    and
    A World War I brass howitzer shell case,stamped 'Polte Magdeburg IX 17, 1285',16in diameter appro
    and
    Rare Large Brass Shell Case from one of the German “Big Bertha” Artillery Guns, the shell case ha

Decka, hamptonauction and kyratango like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Why not phone one of the auction houses and ask them what they got for one of them?

3. kristiaan

I did!
    But like I said "Contacts I wrote to, didn't answer or didn't provide a concrete answer."...

4. kristiaan

I finally subscribed to the auction results on "the salesroom dot com" so if anyone else needs some info, just let me know. I will only have access for a short period.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The 42 cm was mine, think it sold for near $4k at Julia’s in Maine in 2015. The smaller ones don’t have the same “fame” as the 42cm Actual Big Bertha, and would go for a less, although I’ve never seen any like the pair with man standing next to them. The headstamp matters a lot. If they are WWII-dated cases, say 21 cm or 28 cm, they would be very much prized by wwii collectors. They went in huge railway guns, some of which could shoot across the channel.

komokwa, i need help and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted