Big Eyed Artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by AJefferson, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know in which part of Spain these were painted, but you'll find the name Llorente, like Lorente, all over Spain. The Catalan version is Llorent, without the end e. Our Llorente and Lorente friends are all Castilian born (Madrid), but, coincidentally, all of Andaluz origin.

Red and yellow are also the colours of the Spanish flag, and double l also features in other Spanish languages and dialects. For instance 'llorar', which is what those Italian crying children are doing.;)
    The boy's sweater has 6 red stripes. The Senyera, or Catalan flag, has 4.
    The exact number of stripes of the Senyera is extremely significant, because they stand for the bloodied fingers which Raymond Berengarius II, an 11th century count of Barcelona, wiped on the golden cloak of his assassin when he was murdered.
    Not only that, but the four red bands run across a yellow background, so the first and last bands are always yellow, for the golden cloak of the assassin. The first and last bands on the sweater are red, as in the Spanish flag.
    Much as I support the Catalans, in fact precisely because I support the Catalans, I cannot recognize the sweater as a representation of the Senyera.

The Celtic part of Spain, Galicia, is in the far west of Spain, Catalunya in the east.

The flea market in Madrid could be el Rastro, the most famous one. My brother also sold some of his crafts there during his student days in Spain.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    AJefferson and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think from El Rastro too. And decorative paintings, likely turned out in a mini-factory and (despite artist's signature) possibly painted by Sari, a diminutive of "Sara."

Hippies in Spain always reminds me of that wonder film Muertos de risa with Santiago Segura and El Gran Wyoming. Recommend, if you haven't already seen.

Debora

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

For the most part I can't disagree, but there was a strong Celtic influence, and online reading says there are some Gaelic roots in Galician. I don't think you'll find that "Ll" combination in Latin or French. The Roman soldiers may well have picked it up, but I think you'll find they got it from a Celt.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know if you read this:
    According to this Wiki page Llorente is Aragonese.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llorente
    Aragonese is a Romance language, not Celtic. Aragon borders on Catalunya and is far away from Celtic Galicia, which is north of Portugal. Spain is a collection of different countries with different cultures and languages.
    The Romance languages of northern Spain are separated from Galicia by a large Basque region. The Basques have their own language again, not related to any other language, and one of the oldest European languages.
    Galician Celtic culture is very much a coastal culture, and is it thought the Celts came to the area by sea.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't have a problem with that. Doesn't mean that Celtic influences weren't felt farther afield.

Draft saved Draft deleted