Big hand-carved copper plate?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bluewood, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Bluewood

Bluewood New Member

hi i got this big copper plate anyone know about these some kind of dinner plate i assume?...
    diameter 60cm in backside theres some kind of M.E. stamp...
    what is that grayish stuff it's looks like some kind of coating? and can it be clean off or does it meant be there?...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It looks as though it was tinned copper, where much of the tin has worn off.
    @springfld.arsenal

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Persian copper tray for table. originally put atop a camel saddle, later also with wood stand.
    very often silver-washed.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beautifully elegant Persian tray. The calligraphy cartouches inside the rim are likely to be blessings.
    Is that a cat in the centre? Cats are popular, especially among muslims, because the Prophet Muhammad had a cat. There is a story that when his cat was sleeping on his robe, he cut that part of the robe off when he had to go to the mosque, so as not to disturb the cat.
    These trays were used for meals or for display, neither of which would be on a camel.;) Meals were served on a tray on a cloth on the floor or on a table. Many of these trays were displayed on beautifully carved or inlaid wooden stands.
    Balancing a tray like that on the horns of a saddle would be quite difficult, besides, Persian travelers wouldn't serve meals while riding, they would dismount and take a proper break.
    Most of these Persian copper trays are partly tinned. If they are silver plated, they are plated all over.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Figtree3, judy, Bluewood and 3 others like this.
  5. Bluewood

Bluewood New Member

Tin ok thanks never seen it used like this although old copper coffee pots are tinned if i'm correct otherwise its poisonous to use or something...
    Oo... that what it was... well it was quite broken anyways...
    Silver-washed google gave lots of butterflys but im more in to it being tin...
    Dat is a cat... or a monkey...
    Hard to say it has bit both features but let's go with a cat theory fits with a birds...
    Hah :) That's so silly how much people do this thanks for the story and briefing fun to know...
    Well i try to bit clean and polish it someday i drop a picture if it looks any better...

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.