Featured Bird and Spider Piece

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by DBinSV, Apr 10, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

This fanciful piece was among the things my maternal grandparents took with them when they left Russia in 1916.

As I prepare to pass this along as part of the collection to my niece and nephew, I’m wondering whether anyone can help me with the identification, so I can put some documentation into the notes I send along with the pieces.

To me, this has a kind of art nouveau look about it. I am wondering how unusual it is to have a spider’s web and spider depicted on jewelry. Was the intended idea that the bird is interested in eating the spider, which as a result is fleeing from its web? If so, maybe the bird depicted here would be a wren (which, from what I read, are apparently fond of eating spiders)?

It would be great to learn the meaning of the marks, as well as the (category) name for this type of piece. Would it be considered a pendant or something else?

Thank you!

Dan

Bird_Jewelry_Piece.jpg Bird_Jewelry_Detail_1.jpg Bird_Jewelry_Detail_3.jpg Bird_Jewelry_Piece.jpg Bird_Jewelry_Detail_1.jpg Bird_Jewelry_Detail_3.jpg Bird_Close-Up.jpg Marks_Close-Up.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, looks like a watch fob. UK is probably the maker's mark.
    The spider pendant will be of interest to @kyratango .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you have a marriage of two watch pieces.

The spider probably a man's watch fob.
    The bird would have been for a ladies watch.

I would have no problem separating these and giving one to the niece and the other to the nephew. A jeweler could probably repair the bird piece for minimal cost.

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The watch chain and fob were probably purchased separately and put together simply because they liked them.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Definitely a watch fob. Too few legs to be a spider & spiders don't have antennae. This is a bug escaping a web, I think. 'You can't catch me.' Lovely piece.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think they were both for a man originally; that's a very ornate if very short watch chain. Someone put the fob on the chain. Said fob would make a great pendant, so separate away.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

8. Bronwen

I rewrote my message when realized it's not a spider, but was going to make the same observation & that there's no reason to assume the bird & bug have meaning together. I also considered the possibility that main part of the fob was always designed to then have attached the dangle of purchaser's choice when sold. It looks like you are meant to be able to change them. It's not a soldered ring, more like a hook curled around for security.
    upload_2018-4-10_13-52-14.png

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree. This is a marriage. The spider fob is far less well made, too.

10. Bronwen

Entomology 101: Spiders have 8 legs. Fob critter has only 6; an insect, not an arachnid.

11. Any Jewelry

I agree, the 'bug' is of lesser quality, nothing to do with the lovely bird, and likely not by the same maker.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

The delicacy & short length say lady's watch to me. I have my grandmother's little pocket watch. I also have the fob seal with her first initial that may once have gone with it, although I have no chain to connect them.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Well, you certainly called that one right. Maybe I'll offer my niece and nephew a family slogan: "Bugging people for five generations."

Seriously, though, I'm so impressed with all the knowledge and insight that's been shared here (and somewhat embarrassed for mistaking the bug for a spider). Thank you so much all for helping me better understand these pieces!

15. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Dbinsv,
    If you decide to investigate these items seprately, I think for the bird use the search term -seed pearls, but I await correction on that (since I’m not positive, and I can’t see them that well)

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

The stones in the bug look black in the photos, but since they have been set to allow light through, am guessing they are colored. Dark red? Wondering if they would be garnets. Body is a cabochon; is head faceted?

Christmasjoy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I keep coming back and looking at this, because there is something that bothers me.

#1 Looks like something was attached here
    #2 Definitely looks like there is damage, not bent correctly.

upload_2018-4-11_0-21-20.png

The more I look, the more I think @evelyb30 is correct about them both being fobs.

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatWatchCh.html

Scroll down and click the image - It will enlarge.
    upload_2018-4-11_0-34-25.png

Draft saved Draft deleted